Author Topic: RHS Advanced certificate - just enrolled :-)  (Read 4605 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
RHS Advanced certificate - just enrolled :-)
« on: August 13, 2007, 15:37:17 »
I've just taken the plunge and enrolled on the RHS Advanced Certificate, so excited. I'm doing it by distance learning so looking forward to when the first course pack arrives  :)  I'd be interested to know if anyone else is doing this course, especially since I won't have any classmates as such! 

SP xx

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: RHS Advanced certificate - just enrolled :-)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 15:53:18 »
hi sweet-pea.
I did the general certificate a couple of years ago (evening classes) and LOVED every second. would love to take it further so please let me know how it goes and how you find distance learning – enjoy it and good luck ;D

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 10:27:31 »
Thanks Norfolklass.

I did the General certificate about 3 years ago as an evening class, I enjoyed it but we didn't get to do much practical work, it was all theory.  I'm going to have to be very focused I think with this one and try and do some practical work myself. I've also noticed that there are some colleges who offer the course that also offer practical workshops that you can attend even if you're not doing the course at the college, so I'm thinking of doing one of those just to make sure that I'm doing everything right as I believe the examination has a practical element to it this time.

SP x

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:47:27 »
I have recently packed in a PhD, it took a long time, and in the end I just wasn't that interested in whatI studying any more --- climate change!!
I am now considering doing a course but I am not sure what, I want something that I am interested in, but a change form what I have spent the last 4 years doing, I have thought about the RHS ones, or something like beekeeping (I don't know anything about bees, but it sounds interesting!!) or maybe doing a MSC in Environmental Architecture and learning about how to build eco houses!!
I might have a look at theRHS site now and see what they offer.
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 14:51:57 »
The first 3 modules have just arrived with 2 great text books. Haven't had time to look through them properly yet, but the assignments remind me of my Biology degree exams!  I'm pretty sure they won't need the same amount of detail though, but there is no indication of what kind of answers they are expecting so think that's going to be my first question for my tutor.

Sarah_O

• Not So New ...
  • Another year older another year wiser
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 22:32:18 »
Hi Sweet Pea. Hope the studying is going ok. I'm interested in doing the RHS course. Which one are you doing? Where did you sign up? Was it on the RHS website or somewhere else? I'm about to be redundant and am looking into a change of job.
good luck with yours,
Sarah
"Brains first and then hard work." -Eeyore

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:46:13 »
Sarah
Check out Reaseheath College at Nantwich, Cheshire. It is a land based college and has numerous horticulture courses including the RHS courses. I did a part time course last year and I am due to start a full time course in Sept. I would recommend it, the practicals where brilliant even practised pruning fruit trees at Eton Hall, the Duke of Westminsters home. The organic fruit and veg garden there was worth doing the course on its own.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 16:14:37 »
I really envy you flytrapman, I'm doing my course by distance learning so not going to get as much practical experience as you got, but I'm hoping to get to some practical workshops at Harlow Carr. 

Sarah, I'm doing the Advanced certificate through learningcurve, but I would try and find a college nearby if I were you.  My local college don't do the Advanced course so I had no option unfortunately!  I only actually started the studying last night as I'd decided it would be easier to manage how I'm doing if I try and do a module a month, but I think it's going to be hard work finding 'good' time to study, i.e. time when i'm awake, I'm not that good at studying in the evening!

Good luck to you both.

SP x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal