Author Topic: what now  (Read 1437 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
what now
« on: August 08, 2007, 13:50:58 »
I have killed most of the weeds from the allotment with the use of Glypho didn't want to use it but needs must.So am digging over now a month or so later so the Glypho has done its worst. Soil feels great very easy to turn with a fork, almost too easy even though i've only done a fifth if that.

Should i treat the soil i have turned or leave as is.
I want to plant something to show these is a reason for all of this work, what would /could grow at this time of year.

I've also got a garden full of veg in pots and wanted to know when my sweetcorn will be ready. The heads have 'fluffy' tops now and are going slightly brown

And one other thing, is there anything apart from lettuce i can grow in the greenhouse, it seems such a waste as everything is outside now bar a couple of late developers

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: what now
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 15:36:46 »
Hi,  some others more knowldgeable will be along in a bit, but re the soil you have turned over, it will soon have a soft green haze on it from all the weed seeds that have suddenly got space & light.  Don't let it get you down, just hoe them out once a week or so & make sure they don't get a hold.  It will also help keep the soil at a reasonable tilth for planting out.

There are overwintering crops you may be able to sow now such as spring cabbage & pak choi, but as I say, the clever ones will help out soon I'm sure.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 17:10:14 »
Hi there, I'm not one of the 'experts' but you could try the following

Runner beans
Carrots
Beetroot
Spinach
Lettuce

That assumes that you like eating any of the above ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 17:43:34 »
If you're not going to use some of the space how about green manure like Red Mustard, Clover etc which will help suppress weeds and can be dug in as soil conditioner before you plant the next crop?

I've just sown pak choi, lettuce and everlasting spinach. French beans, especially the dwarf varieties like Ferrari can crop really quickly.

Also I think you could sow some varieties of cauliflowers now for Spring harvest

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 18:30:21 »
I've also been pricking out Endive and Chicory.. Lambs lettuce and chinese cabbage. Put out French beans about two weeks ago.
I'd green manure and then put in Over Winter onion sets and later Broad Beans..
 ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 22:26:39 »
Spring onions can be sown later this month and into Oct. Make sure you have ground ready for Oct-nov when you can sow/plant garlic, onion sets, peas, broad beans for overwintering. If you fancy soft fruit the ground needs to be well manured ready for autumn delivery of currants, gooseberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc. Ground should not stand idle long.

Lauren G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 17:04:28 »
Hiya. This morning I planted Greyhound Cabbage. Weve also got Swede Invitation, Spring onion white lisbon winter hardy and Lettuce winter density. Somethings bound to grow ;) I ve picked up alot of great advise on this sight and also down at the allotments. You could allways ask yr lottie neighbours wot their planting ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 19:00:48 »
Pricked out my swede and Greyhound now but still to sow the Winter Density and Bronze Arrow...
 :-[

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 17:23:18 »
Thanks for your advises, i will try planting this week, assuming the rain keeps off

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal