Author Topic: The magic sickle  (Read 858 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
The magic sickle
« on: August 08, 2007, 17:10:45 »
So, there I am, several months back looking at the waist high grass on the plot and thinking that I ought to do something about it.  Got on my bike and struggled up to my parent's house on the other side of the city to borrow their sickle.  Got back to the lottie, sickle at the ready and what do you know - all the grass had magically changed from waist high to a mere few inches.

So, happily I dug and covered half the plot and left the other half as "next years project".  Of course the other half got back to waist high again with all the rain we've had.  Again this week I was thinking that I ought to hack it down a bit before it goes completly wild so got the sickle out and headed around there t'other evening.  And what do you know, all the waist high grass was again a mere few inches high.

Thus I conclude that I have a magic sickle.  It is also a generous magic sickle as it seems to have magically cut all of the surrounding plots too.

My plan now is to attempt to attach said magic sickle to my mower to see if it will have the same effect on the lawns at home...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: The magic sickle
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 18:36:16 »
You seem to have an efficient site committe there but if the sickle really is magic can I borrow it 'cos our aren't...
 ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 19:05:12 »
What some people need is a Scythe.  40 years ago, the Villagers asked to borrow our Scythe!

If a Sickle - was it REALLY sharp? We just cut down all our Potato haulms today, Seen better days?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 19:06:46 by tim »

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 20:45:18 »
I think that my sickle was probably a scythe when it was born, but it has been passed down through the generations like George Washington's axe...

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 07:58:42 »
Tim, the implement you show was named a scythette by the makers. I believe they are still available and maybe replacement blades. Hunt around.

Edit: I have just had a look around and the spare blades are here:-
http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=8726&MAN=Spear-And-Jackson-Razorsharp-Garden-Scythette-Blade-305mm-Blade

The short handled version seems to be referred to as a "Grass Hook", but the blade is the same for both.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:09:54 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal