Author Topic: How big is your site?  (Read 3589 times)

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
How big is your site?
« on: July 20, 2007, 23:01:54 »
Ours maybe the smallest...with only 6 plots..ranging from 150-175 sqr mtrs.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: How big is your site?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 23:09:40 »
Aw that's so cute!   :D I don't think I know of a smaller set

There's about 20 plots on my site, but all in all we manage about 45 plots in the whole village, which isn't very big at all

SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 09:17:05 »
Our Site is 11.8 acres with 175 plots... just over the road at Normanton Allotments they have 212... the site was a lot bigger until the Ring Road went through the site in the 1930's...
 ;D

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 12:06:30 »
Hi, in our site we only have 8 full plots and 4 half size plots = 10 full plots, thats parish / village life for you, we have a three year waiting list for the half plots and a five year wait for the full plot, our site has been around from 1930 when there was around 40 full plots, but with building homes etc, its now down to the above,
 ;)
my allotment
heaven

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 12:22:13 »
Mine's number 80 and I'm about 3/4 the way around, but as much of the site has been turned over to waste land I'm not sure if numbers 1-79 all exist any more,

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 13:43:27 »
we have 8 half size and a quarter sized one, we will be expanding soon so the 1/4 size will be as big as the rest, there will be another 2 half plots and a raised bed area and a communal polytunnel ;D
mad, innit ?  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 14:37:17 »
April bank holiday 2 years ago our site was opened. Cambourne is a new settlement ( have been building it for 7years and have another 10 years to go) the allotments are on the top of a 'settled' spoil heap which they have very kindly added leaf mould to on the top.

The allotments are only there as they cant build on it :-)

Our site is 2.44 hectares and contains 60 plus plots we have tarmacked parking, 6ft high fencing and water accessed via 6 regularly spaced standpipe. Around the outside of the plot there is a large ditch and we have french drains. Planted between the fencing and the ditch are various hedging plants that provide food for birds and roses for polination.

I say 60plus plots as it was marked out as 64 full plots, then people said they only wanted 1/2 plots so i think its more like 80 now.

My plot which was originaly a full plot is now marked as a double plot as there is only 4 people with the old full plots!

And we have 13 people on the waiting list but we will have a second allotment site opening in in the next 2 years. Which will be quite near our second primary school which as it is now full ( opened last year ) has forced them to consider building a 3rd school!

My plot is roughly 40ft my 90ft plus ( i say plus as i am on the corner and the plot drops down the brow of the hill so it was only ever measured roughly ).

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 16:00:27 »
I'm not sure how many plots we've got: some are full-size (10 pole) & some half-size (5 pole). But sometimes full-size plots have been split, or plots added together and some folk have more than one plot. But we've got nearly 80 actual members.

One of our chief concerns, though, is that several plots have tenants who write an annual cheque but do little or nothing to do any cultivation. As newly-appointed plot secretary it's embarassing to explain to people that we have no vacant plots when they can see several areas of wilderness! I'm doing my best to persuade them to either get cracking or give up, but it's a long job.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 18:16:02 »
we've just voted in a new part to the rules, everyone there agreed,
when a new person starts, they are given a temporary 3 month membership, they pay key money and 3 months rent
if, after 3 months, they have neither done anything on the plot or given a reason , (we're quite reasonable and accept people have problems, we do help out) , they are not given full membership,
we're about to implement it for the first time, unless the person who took on the plot 11 weeks ago, and has had a phone call, does something, even talks to someone  >:(

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 18:22:18 »
We have exactly the same problems on our site as you both have mentioned above.

It's a great idea though to do a probationary period - I may talk to our lot about having a 6 month period and also a 3 month 'no action' time as I have just taken on the plot next to mine to put chooks in ( had to kick the guy who had it off as he didn't do anything for 2 years on it) but the guy next to him has only been down a couple of times, started to build a pond and then did nothing! 

I've been scything his weeds away as well as my own just to make it look more reasonable.  >:(
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 21:35:46 »
Not sure what size ours is but the one next to us in width is 23 size 8 boots!   ;D   Ours is currently 13 boots wide but we have a whole triangle of bramble next to us that is too small for a plot so we can use for free if we want.

On our site there are (including us) 9 used plots I think, but 2 of those are only using half of their plots (the other half is weeds).  I think there are probably room for another 3 or 4 plots and we have the bottom of the field too but that is more prone to flooding and so nobody has ever used it.  We don't have a waiting list, in fact we phoned a few weeks and within 2 or 3 weeks were digging and planting!  Mind you we are still waiting on an agreement, rules and haven't paid a penny!!!! ::)

We have a gate onto the site but the padlock is broken, there is no fencing and so it's open to whoever wants to walk in.  You drive over grass (which does get mowed) but there is water piped in and there is a gardeners shop on site - though it's only open on Mondays.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 22:26:16 »
Our site has just over a hundred plots, a mix of full and half size plots.
My mum has a plot on the smallest allotment site i have heard of, there are just two plots and she has one of them  :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 23:52:31 »
I think we have 20 plots, all different shapes and sizes. 

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 00:27:32 »
Ours has about 60 plots but used to have over 100, lots of our plots are double plots including mine, they're all different shapes and sizes which makes it look great in my opinion and there are lots of trees around the place too, its quite a hilly plot which I also like.

powerspade

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 08:02:40 »
The small valley town I live in only has a population of 3600. We have  five allotment sites and all plots taken. The site I`m on has 18 full size plots and for the first time since is open in 1926 we have a waiting list in operation. We have toilets, water,good access road and the best thing of all the site is at the end of my street. I have a double plot and am more or less free from buying the stuff in the super market. Both my plots are 34 yards long and 8 yards wide. Shed for shelter, tea making ( gas stove)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 08:40:39 »
I think our site has about 10 full size plots. There are three other sites in the town, all about the same size, I think.

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 22:44:33 »
So...what size do we call a plot?..Ours is 150 sq  meters..is that a average sized plot? I have no idea what i've heard on here as to what a 'rod' or 'pole' is sizewise?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal