Author Topic: cuttings from vines  (Read 1057 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
cuttings from vines
« on: August 10, 2007, 10:59:41 »
come on, all you grape vine experts, how do we take cuttings and is it easy  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: cuttings from vines
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:35:26 »
Yes, me too Mal. I have tried a few times but failed dismally. Will await with inetrest...........  ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:36:56 »
My resident expert says:

"Take cuttings in November to January (ie. the dormant period). Take off the old wood and train in next year's fruiting growth. Take the cuttings from the old wood you've pruned off (about 18" to 2' long). Just push 5 or 6 into a pot & over-winter under glass. Or take bud cuttings in the spring from unwanted buds on the vine; these are usually taken with a sliver of wood behind them and trimmed before lying them on the surface of the compost. Keep an eye on them as they are prone to damping off. I only use this method if the winter cuttings fail. Even under glass, they will not show any signs of life before the parent vine wakes up."

And yes, it is easy. Expert does all the clever stuff with grapes, but passes the pruned material to me & even I can do the cuttings bit. Several folk on our site have got cuttings from us.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 17:29:50 »
excellent, trevor-d..will have a go and let you know if it works..I'll try the winter ones  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal