Author Topic: Spuds on hops?  (Read 4678 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Spuds on hops?
« on: May 05, 2007, 11:52:29 »
I've just picked up 12 bags of spent hops from a small brewery, thanks to the wonderful freecycle!
On searching this site, I found some useful info on how to use them, especially from dear old Supersprout! She suggested using them in trenches or on a lazy bed for spuds, but I'm not sure if they'd need to be rotted- these are fresh. Does anybody know? I was thinking of putting a layer of shredded paper between the hops and the spuds if that would help, but I've only got a couple of binbgas of paper (I'm bringing a bag a day on the bus on the days I work- think I'm getting the lottie madness bug!)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
Re: Spuds on hops?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 14:46:32 »
Sorry Caroline, I don't know the answers, but am very interested in the results - I thought of growing my Pots on straw this year, using the no-dig method, but so many people laughed at the idea, that I didn't try it in the end

Let us know how you get on

Kathi
Kathi :-)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 18:50:05 »
Oh well, couldn't wait any longer for an answer, so went ahead and planted 4 rows of spuds with fresh hops in the bottom of the trench, then shredded paper. And if someone tells me I've done wrong now, I'm NOT digging them up! But I've still got another four rows to do so any answers still appreciated!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 20:49:43 »
sorry, caroline, don't know what's in hops..I suppose they'll hold the moisture so that's a good thing,
we've just earthed our spuds up with newspaper collars covered with fresh grass clippings, try anything once and if it works, do it again   ;D

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 10:14:42 »
Morning Caroline, a work mate of mine used spent hops on his garden and he reckoned the plants went off like rockets, then the brewery cottoned on to the fact and started selling it on to commercial people!! He swears by it's benefits. Andy
Thas a rummun !!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 10:27:56 »
Yes, Andy. I live in a town with 3 breweries and I couldn't get hops from any of them. Apparently a lot of the bigger breweries use hop pellets now, and Sam Smith's have theirs collected commercially. So I had to travel to a little brewery about 10 miles away who want to save the costs of collection- but it looks like it will be worth it!

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 12:52:04 »
A few years back I grew spuds in spent hops and the results were amazing. The cleanest potatoes I've ever grown. You're in for a treat. ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 14:29:10 »
Were they fresh from te brewery or rotted?

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 19:51:09 »
Were they fresh from te brewery or rotted?

Fresh, mm, I can still smell them. ;D

powerspade

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 20:16:35 »
WE used to have a local brewery in Rhymney just up the valley from me , as far as planting spuds on top of them well be prepared Hope are like rocket fuel and you will not be dissapointed you will have a  bumper harvest

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 23:30:18 »
HI

I am picking up 2 bags worth next friday and should be able to pick some up sort of regularly.

I was going to uses as a mulch on my fruit bed, but i might try adding some to some spuds i am late planting as i am still digging the bed :-(

Cambourne7

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 11:45:25 »
Oooh, I'm all excited now! ;D Done something right at last! Thanks everyone.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 21:57:12 »
I got some just before Christmas and asked much the same questions here, but never really got a definite answer about whether it has the same qualities as unrotted manure.
However I spread it as a mulch and it's nearly all vanished and I dug what was left of it in this spring. It soon lost its smell and looks as if it will improve the texture of the soil.
I have mulched my raspberries with it and they are doing very well. It does dry out a bit and blow about though.
The person who delivered it said he ploughs it in with chicken manure in late autumn, and that dahlias love it.
I've put it where my potatoes are and will let you know how they get on.
By the way, I earthed them up on Saturday and they were through again by Sunday - so they must like it!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 16:36:02 »
We too are converts to spent hops, courtesy of Supersprout.  They are an excellent soil conditioner, but as far as I can find out, they have very little in the way of nutrients.  We always dig them in with manure.  They have a wonderful affect on the clay areas of our lottie.

Personally, I'd use them fresh.  They absolutely pong as they rot, reminiscent of dog mess.  :o

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 16:39:05 »
Thanks for the warnin- yuk! Don't think I'll have any problem using them quickly!Found another source today- think I'll be getting a reputation down the lottie!

David R

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 13:24:59 »
I am a home brewer, and use spent hops and barley grain on the plants as mulch etc.

Both of these are boiled to extract the qualities wanted in the beer, so that does mean most of the goodness is gone, however, there will be residual sugars left which will feed the micro-organisms in the soil, and therefore help the plants. They also add organic matter. The fact that they are boiled will mean that they can go in

Definately a good thing to add.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 23:42:16 »
Have you found that the hops made any difference to your crops?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 09:42:20 »
Hard to say for sure, with the weather as well, but I think they may have been worse! But I think I probably should have put a thicker layer of soil on top of the hops before putting the spuds in, and maybe using them straight away rather than drying them first was a mistake.
But the hops have definitely improved the soil where I've used them elsewhere, and been good as a mulch- it's good to know they are just hops, so no chance of weed seeds etc.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal