Author Topic: New Jamie Oliver Program  (Read 17267 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
New Jamie Oliver Program
« on: August 07, 2007, 20:02:46 »
Jamie has a kitchen garden and hes got a new program showing you want to do with stuff fresh from his garden.

Its on now on channel 4

Cambourne7

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: New Jamie Oliver Program
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 20:22:28 »
I watched a bit - looked interesting but you have to put it on mute! Shame really as I'm sure he's an interesting guy but just overdoes the cockney thing... IMHO as always!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 20:23:20 »
Hey cam, i've got it on now - have you seen how many tomatoes he's using in that sausage recipe  :o  I don't reckon i'd get that many in a whole season, let alone for just one dinner lol  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

rainbowdonegal

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 20:54:15 »
Wanted to watch it but forgot so thanks Cam got the last 15 mins of it.   :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 20:59:05 »
As I asked elsewhere, I wonder how many chaps he has to look after it?

And heated houses? No expense spared.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 21:15:45 »
There was something in a garden mag about it a few months ago, i think he just has one gardener and a greenhouse. The gardener looks after the whole estate which is a few acres.

Glad you caught it rainbowdonegal

And no i have no idea how many plants hes got to get all those tomatos but i guess for filming he bought some in? But good ideas or gluts i though and i think you can use smaller quantitys to make individual dishes.

I was wondering what the next program was so i found the episode guide but only has this week and next weeks.
http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/J/jamie-at-home/episodes.html

Episode 1 - Tomatoes
Jamie's garden is bursting with tomatoes of every size, shape and colour.
The freshness and vibrancy of the dishes Jamie makes leaves you no doubt that growing your own tomatoes is a must in any garden, large or small.

Jamie's tomato salad looks unbelievably sumptuous and the fusilli with salsa rossa cruda is knockout.

Oven-baked sausage ragu is simple and rustic, and a beautiful pale pink tomato and vodka consommé top and tails the show, and is a treat for Brian the gardener.

Want to find out how to grow your own tomatoes? Check out our tomato growing guide for all you need to know .

Episode 2 - Courgettes
There's a bumper crop of courgettes in Jamie's garden and he shows us how to utilise them whilst they are in season.
Not only do they come in all shapes, sizes and colours but the delicate flowers are edible too.

The flowers are very hard to obtain, so by growing your own you have access to these gems during the growing season.

Jamie makes deep-fried courgette flowers stuffed with ricotta and mint. He shows off the qualities of courgettes with a raw courgette salad to accompany some freshly grilled mackerel. Delicious.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 22:21:30 »
Bet he doesn't mention blight though!!!!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 16:38:28 »
I watched a bit - looked interesting but you have to put it on mute! Shame really as I'm sure he's an interesting guy but just overdoes the cockney thing... IMHO as always!

I agree with you OllieC, I find him the most unwatchable cook on TV - know wha' I mean, you know, etc!!

valmarg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 19:37:38 »
Episode 1 - Tomatoes
Jamie's garden is bursting with tomatoes of every size, shape and colour.

i'm so pleased for the wee lad  ???

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 14:22:31 »
might have something to do with his 2 polytunnels  ;)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 15:01:37 »
I wanted to see the courgette programme. Missed it. Was it any good and were the recipes doable for an eejit like me? Got to be simple else I get in a flap. Don't fancy raw courgette though I have to say.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 15:15:07 »
I never used to mind watching Jamie as the 'Naked Chef', his use of the word 'pukka' didn't seem to bother me.  But I caught his programme last night and I have to say his new word 'Delish' is Sooo irritating, not sure I'll be able to watch the rest of the series!
But appart from that one irritation it wasn;t too bad a show, he did stuffed courgette flowers, which I've never tried, and he even battered and deep fried a young squash leaf, never knew you could eat them.  But other than that I didn't really learn anything new.  The recipies were all pretty straightforward though so I'm sure you'd manage ok with them Heldi.

SP x

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 15:20:39 »
first let me say i do not enjoy cooking, i do not watch cooking progs but i saw last weeks and thought ,i could do that mmm i could certainly eat that! i havnt seen last nights yet i,v recorded most of it (missed 5 mins) this is the first year i,v grown courgetts and the fisrt time i,v ate them so looking forward to it
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 15:36:13 »
Was it any good and were the recipes doable for an eejit like me?

recipe for courgette carbonara that was so simple I can actually remember it!

use penne pasta, boil in lightly salted water.
meanwhile, chop some pancetta or smoky bacon into small pieces and fry in some olive oil in a hot pan.
cut your baby courgettes into diagonal slices so they're about the same size as the penne.
add them to the bacon pan with a good pinch of salt and plenty o'pepper and cook until soft but with bite left.
for the carbonara sauce: one egg yolk, 25ml of cream and half a handful of finely grated parmersan per person, mixed roughly.
the pasta should be cooked at the same time as the bacon and courgettes so drain and add to the pan, along with the carbonara sauce, and toss everything together.
to make the sauce nice and silky add a couple of splashes of the pasta water and mix till everything is covered.
put on a serving plate, add four food stylists (have you seen the credits?!? no doubt there's a book on its way in time for christmas ::)) and serve.

I haven't tried it yet, but it diid look good!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 16:11:08 »
food stylists - haha

I think they are for taking photos of the food finished and as he cooks it. Apparantly taking photos of food is very difficult.

Did it say how many gardeners?

Episode 3 is all about BBQs :-)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 16:26:56 by cambourne7 »

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 17:06:26 »
When is it on?

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 17:12:43 »
Next tuesday 8pm on channel 4 :-)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 18:02:47 »
Saw the episode last night, first one I had seen. Was it my imagination, but did he seem a bit p***ed off the whole time? His 'Naked Chef' days where his over exuberence was only slightly irritating at least seemed less forced than it did last night; We too remarked on the number of 'deelishes'.....

Content wise it was good...might try the Caronara recipe on the OH ;D

I did note Jamie's gardener was credited at the end, and had a prescence in the programme at least.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 20:37:39 »
I'm all for parents and children being educated on healthy eating but this man lost my respect with his rude insults towards parents during his Jamie's School Dinners series.  Happy to watch other chefs do there thing though  ;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 22:27:50 »
I thought he'd been drinking too !  Missed the tomato one, but saw the courgette programme - it was pretty good.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal