Author Topic: And now foot & mouth  (Read 2466 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: And now foot & mouth
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 20:36:49 »
I can safely say (having been around several farms here) that most of the animals in the region of this outbreak are grown by relatively small producers who care immensely for their animals including their welfare. They will be absolutely devastated to see these animals being destroyed in such a wasteful way.

In fact I would argue that the vast majority of beef & lamb grown in the UK is grown by people who care immensely and is grown in entirely humane conditions. Unlike chickens with which I agree with you entirely.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 21:05:30 »
We arrived back in the UK just before the last lot and were totally confused by it, I never want to see those awful sights again. it was just terrible. We were not here for the Mad Cow thing so did not know what was happening with that one.I guess it must have been bad too.

I really feel for all the farmers out there, they all must be very scared right now wherever they are.

What is happening in the world, there seems to have been one crisis after another this decade, worse than I can ever remember it before. I don't think I will ever be sure of anything again.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 23:35:43 »
Load of BBC mob round our village today.

Still - i'm looking on the bright side..

Ever since i was a small boy i've had this desire, a desire i've never had the possibility to fullfill up unitil now..

During my teens i was ashamed, and tried to fight the urge, i kept my secret hidden deep, deep within my soul, but, as i've got older and a little mad, the urge has creeped back..

So with my fingers and toes crossed, and with baited breath - tommorow, hopefully...

I will finally get my chance to run up behind a live outside broadcast news interview, pull a funny face and shout "Hello mum!", if i can get a mooney in then all the better !
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 07:01:40 »
I shall be watching the news reports in anticipation ;D

cj :)

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 10:01:18 »
It is ghastly - I am now nearlly 99% vegetarian because of all the stuff going on in farms and how the farmers treat their animals - I have seen at first hand how some animals are treated and was distraught!

Old Bird

I live on a farm with my partner, and I can assure you that we treat our animals with respect and give them the best possible life that we can.  At the end of the day, the quality of the stock that we produce provides us with our livelihood, and they are not just a commodity to us.  Like most farmers, we would be devastated to lose our animals due to someone else's incompetence.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 10:43:36 »
I belong to The Cyclists' Touring Club and organise pensioners rides on Tuesday going to a pub for lunch. Yesterday we had planned to drive to Santon Downham then cycle off road using the Harling drove and Peddars way, to East Harling, Norfolk (The Nags Head), about 18 miles off road. I cancelled the ride and two of us went on road to a local pub, we shall stay on road until this is over.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 15:08:33 »
I belong to The Cyclists' Touring Club and organise pensioners rides on Tuesday going to a pub for lunch. Yesterday we had planned to drive to Santon Downham then cycle off road using the Harling drove and Peddars way, to East Harling, Norfolk (The Nags Head), about 18 miles off road. I cancelled the ride and two of us went on road to a local pub, we shall stay on road until this is over.

You should come to Normandy where the foot and mouth actually is, some bright spark has decided its ok to leave all the foot paths open (they were still open yesterday) even the ones running by the the infected farms only the entrance to one field is blocked off.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 15:28:13 »
I don't understand the logic of investigating local allotments for the possibility that the virus has been carried there on tools/clothes/footwear - and claiming that there is no need to close the footpaths through these devastated farms because the virus cannot be picked up and spread by walkers.

[I know the footpaths are now closed at last].

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 17:19:48 »
Given that the blanket closing down of the footpaths/bridleways had a serious effect on many country businesses (such as cafes and so on) last time around, has there ever been a documented case of walkers or riders spreading the disease?

Waves to Larkshall - fellow CTC member  ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 18:50:58 »
That's my point exactly.

They seem to think that workers at the research/vaccination centres could have somehow carried the virus with them, walking to their allotments near the infected farms.

Simultaneously they argue that walkers on footpaths could not pick up the virus and pass it on to cattle (sheep etc etc) on the land they are walking through.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 17:19:37 »
Anyone notice the helicopter shots on TV - don't imagine that helps prevent dispersal on the wind?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal