Author Topic: Recommended Pea varieties  (Read 1529 times)

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
Recommended Pea varieties
« on: August 04, 2007, 01:36:43 »
I've never had a successful result with peas, has anyone got any cast iron recommendations regarding varieties to try next year?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Recommended Pea varieties
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 01:39:26 »
I've been really pleased with Early Onward and Hurst Greenshaft, have been picking peas since early June.  I've got Alderman in (tall variety) , haven't picked any pods yet but have heard rave reviews about it.

powerspade

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 06:27:40 »
I had alderman at the moment they are over 8ft tal and producing buckets of peas, also I have hurst greenshaft producing at full throttle, of the the alderman producing more peas but hurst greenshaft better flavour

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 09:09:33 »
Magnum Bonum... tall pea best flavour... sadly only available from seed libraries and seed savers... I could send you some but you would have to bulk it up...
Tall Telegraph from Realseeds has done really well this time and is almost as good...
 ;D

wildthing

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 11:01:41 »
I got Heritage seeds Purple Podded this year, which are about 7' tall and cropping by the bucket load. I also got Golden Podded, which are mainly a mangetout type, theoretically for stirfries and raw in salads.  [None have made it as far as the kitchen.] They are not as prolific as the purple podded, but very tasty, and you can use them as normal peas if you wish.  The 2 tone flowers don't seem to attract the pea moth, and neither of them seem to attract the pigeons. That's a bonus. They ate all the Sugarsnap and Waverex as fast as they grew, and the few I saved were maggoty.
I learned from past experience that the Bullfinches would eat any white pea flowers, and red or white bean flowers, so I have to grow purple beans. They leave the lilac flowers alone. I have morning glory flowers twining amongst the beans and peas. Last year some grew in the veg patch, spread by birds I suspect. The crop was greatly improved as they attracted the bees.  This year I planted them on purpose. It seems to be working.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 11:30:33 »
I sowed Hurst Greenshaft and i am well pleased with the results loads of plump peas really really sweet too  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 15:04:45 »
'Purple Podded', so easy to pick and decorative too (available from Thomas Etty), and 'Show Perfection', early, 10+ peas in a pod and good flavour (Robinsons) ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 15:13:36 »
hurst greenshaft have been very successful for me too and are delicious

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 15:33:49 »
I have grown 2 varities this year, Canoe and Kelvedon Wonder. 

The Canoe have performed far better, nice healthy plants, lots of pods.

The Kelvodon Wonder haven't done a lot, small plants, not many pods.

But for me, the flavour is the most important bit and the KW wins hands down, don't get me wrong the Canoe are very tasty and way better than shop peas but the KW taste amazing.

I will be growing both again next year.

Helen

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 18:03:09 »
Alderman is good,Feltham first is not bad for an early but I still reckon Hurst Green Shaft takes some beating

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 21:50:23 »
Thank you all. looks like I might be giving Hurst Greenshaft a try next year.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 00:39:56 »
Greenshaft have done me proud this year for a first. I also sowed Kelvedon Wonder as they are good for early and late sowings. We are eating our third sowing, and my kids are waiting impatiently for the fourth to grow!

(I start mine off in small lengths of guttering 12-18inches. When the plants are about 2 inches high it is easy to slide the length of crop into the ground without disturbing the roots too much - water prior to transplanting. Had about 99% success rate) You may still get a final sowing if you sow under initially glass.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 07:05:16 »
Have some direct sown Kelvedon Wonder just through in the garden...
 ;D

powerspade

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 09:37:50 »
Never thought of growing purple podded peas before, I`ll try them next year. As you all know if you leave a pod go to seed then the plant has done its job and dies back, Purple pod would be a lot easier to spot and less likely to miss out Thanks Deb P good tip
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:41:06 by powerspade »

squeakycheeker

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 01:25:31 »
telephone and hatif d'annonay both from real seeds did well for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal