Author Topic: Any chance of some rain please?  (Read 12430 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Any chance of some rain please?
« on: June 17, 2004, 12:54:20 »
I know some places in the north have been getting some but is there any chance of sending some down to SW england at all?

Cant remember when we last had some significant rain, must be at least 6 weeks (how long before a dry spell is classed as a drought i wonder?). The garden and the veggie plot are in desperate need of rain water. i have been watering daily of course, but it is not the same is it? (and what a chore is watering!  >:().

I even found a couple of established border plants wilting last night  :'((i dont water established plantings in th garden). OK after a can or 2 of water, but a bit unnnesesary and unexpected i have to say.

I seem to remember a long range forecast back in the spring was fo a wet early summer. I guess they got THAT one wrong.  :(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Any chance of some rain please?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 13:10:29 »
And some in the South East too please. It is forecase for saturday, but it'll probably be like last saturday - just enough to make it uncomfortable to be in the garden, but not enough to do the garden any good.

It's now five weeks since I sprained my ankle and there hasn't been any significant rain for all that time. Mr Aqui is getting sick of carrying buckets of water downstairs from the kitchen tap (I really must get an outside tap installed). And I'm getting fed up with having to ration the water.

Ah - I see what the problem is. Usually at this time of the year I paint my toe nails when I wear my sandals. Whenever I painted my nails, it always rained the next day, so I couldn't wear sandals. But this summer I've been unable to wear sandals as they have high-ish heals and I have to wear flat shoes due to the ankle, so I haven't painted my nails. I'll do them tonight...
gone to pot :D

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 14:00:31 »
we could do with some up north as well! the concrete got damp earlier but its dry now....

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 14:05:48 »
Wales has got some cloud - can I email it to you?
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 14:59:05 »
Oh we have cloud here too. And Wind. But no rain! :(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 15:05:37 »
we've had thick grey clouds all day, but still dry. I understand it's a lot cooler outside, but I haven't been out since I arrived at work!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 15:25:56 »
Aqui I shall paint mine too, that way we are bound to get rain in the south east! I could also try washing the car! The ground on my lottie is cracking in places! :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 16:11:52 »
I put my shallotts out to dry today, so I expect a localised rainstorm over Katie's trampoline.

Jeremy

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 19:50:15 »
Took the dogs for a run in the fields today and there are cracks everywhere - about 2" wide in places.

I have been able to show off my painted toenails for quite a few days now - so it obviously doesn't work here in Herts :D ;)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 22:04:12 »
Its Pouring in Edinburgh (10.00 p.m.)!!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 22:11:27 »
I went out on the lottie at 7:30am and it was overcast and windy. I thought yes some rain. Then the sun came out, then it was cloudy again, then there was this light drizzle. Pah! Call that rain!  >:(

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 07:17:02 »
light drizzle while down the allotment last night - from the blackest clouds ever, i expected much more! but it seems to have rained steadily all night which is good news indeed as its way too dry up here!

i'll leave it here for another couple of hours then send it down richard...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 08:20:22 »
A useful shower this am. = Tim

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 08:35:25 »
and it rained and rained - hoorah - drizzled through the night and is raining nicely now - just in time for the school run! But more importantly, my pototoes are just flowering so perfect for them, and all my lovely salady things that I was beginning to worry about.  I'll keep it until about lunchtime, then send it down to the rest of you guys for the afternoon - so get your washing out now, and it will be dry just in time!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 08:49:39 »
If you could Ceri, that would be most welcome! Nothing here :'( I know, it it waiting for Wimbledon to start! 8) )
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 09:19:24 »
It looked and felt like it was going to rain last night, so I didn't bother watering. I then also didn't have time to do my toenails, so it's still dry here.

Tonight I shall water the garden, put some washing out and paint my toenails, so it WILL rain.

My colleagues think I'm weird because I want it to rain!

*aqui can currently be seen doing a rain dance round the office*

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 12:38:04 »
Painted toes and hung the washing out, and it rained, for all of 2 minutes!  >:(  The sky is still moody over Chelmsford so hopefully later it will persistently piddle down, but not until I have pegged the washing in please.  ;)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 12:43:58 »
Sending it down all you folks without.Had enough fed up .Went to town in green sandals came back with green feet.
It's persisting down has done since i got up.Thought i'll go in Chat and hey-ho another Virus detected.So you want some i'm sending you some !!!!!!!buckets full of the stuff.WE had it yesterday too.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 13:41:10 »
The weather radar doesn't look very encouraging on the met office site :(

http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/radar/index.html

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 13:54:52 »
Derbex - it's too high up. I hope it's moving south.

It's sunny here (london). dark, thick clouds, but sun, not rain is coming from them. (I don't think I've ever moaned before because it's sunny!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal