Author Topic: Jeannine's offspring  (Read 1144 times)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Jeannine's offspring
« on: August 17, 2007, 00:18:29 »
I know you've had a terrible season Jeannine, but I thought you might like to see your little ones down here. Thanks so much for all your help and advice

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF0178.jpg (Not really sure)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF0181.jpg Red Kuri

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF0180.jpg Triamble

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF0177.jpg About to turn the corner!

Ninnyscrops x

If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Jeannine's offspring
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:16:33 »
Oh how lovely, it makes my heart warm and cosy to see them...thank you  and have fun chomping too when the time comes. Remind me next year and I'll give you some different ones to try XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:48:41 »
Lovely.. have resigned myself to buying up Pumpkin after Halloween!
My Triamble survived until the very wet June Jeannine... will have to try again!
 8)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 18:19:27 »
They look very healthy ninnyscrop!

I'm growing in my garden this year after giving up the plot.

My pumpkins are fruiting and flowering - 3 pumpkins so far and more

flowers forming, however the leaves are yellowing.

Can anyone advise?  I am feeding with weak solution of tomato feed...

Debs x

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 19:54:24 »
My red kuri, also generously sent by jeannine, are doing great. They look similar to your pic  ;D. The biggest is now about the size of those baby footballs, if you know what i am talking about! It is now looking ripe? Orange, whilst th younger ones are more yellow. The one plant has about 20 squash! I read on other squash threads that you are meant to leave the plant to die down before picking if you want to store them, but obviouslythe fruits are developing at different rates. Would it be ok not to pick any squash until the plant dies down? Or, should I pick the first few that develop to allow more energy for the smaller ones to grow?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 20:05:56 »
Hi Sparky, you can pick them as they mature or use some as immature ones. The simple rule is , if they are cured and OK to store your fingernail won't penetrate easily.

Re feeding them, I doubt there is much to be gained by feeding now, it has been a bad year. Even on a withered yellow vine the plants are getting nourishment.

I just picked tomatoes off Tumbler plants, I only grow a couple as they are not my favourite flavour but they are the earliest to fruit and when the others come along I leave them to die off.

They haven't been watered for about a month now and the foliage is brittle and dried brown, but the tomatoes have still been ripening on an apparently dead plant. I have just got about 5 pounds from 2 plants.

As the winter draws in, I often leave toms on a vine rather than pull them green.

We just leave the plants in the garage or greenhouse in the pots and stop watering them, they ripen for weks like this.

Once they are severed from the plants they cannot get any nourishment, you would be surprised with your squash just how much more they can get from a withered Mum.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:09:44 »
..thanks Jeannine, I didn't know that!

I shall also do as you suggest and leave my toms on the vine.

In the past I've usually taken toms off and left them hanging on wire to

ripen. Do you strip off most of the leaves to prevent mildew and to

maximise the sun reaching the fruits to ripen them?

Debs x

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 10:09:49 »
If you are leaving toms on the vine. You need to move the plant into a frost free dry place,I find the garage is ideal.  There will be no mildew if it is dry. You don't worry about the sun, they ripen slowly in the dark.Just stop watering and let the plant die off.XX Jeannine

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 11:22:23 »
Wow, they look fantastic! I'm green with envy...  :D

I sowed about 10 varieties this year and ended up with only 2. Can't wait for next year already!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal