Author Topic: And now foot & mouth  (Read 2501 times)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
And now foot & mouth
« on: August 03, 2007, 22:16:22 »
What a year, floods, blight & now foot & mouth - what's next I wonder?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: And now foot & mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 22:28:28 »
Oh dear very serious is the country being punished for something i wonder. ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 22:29:54 »
Really bad news.... lets hope they can contain it.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 22:43:50 »
This is bad news again.  I had hoped I would never hear of Foot n Mouth again after the last outbreak.  Living in an area hit by F & M  was just horrible and will never forget it.  Do hope this outbreak is contained in a small area.   :'( :'(

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 12:56:10 »
Always look on the bright side of life (just finished reading The Midden by Tom Sharpe) but I feel that this is easier said than done.
I hope too that it is contained - if not, it doesn't bear thinking about.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 15:59:41 »
can someone answer this question, why don't they immunise
I've read there's a vaccine, ?  :)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 17:08:18 »
Lets hope they learned the lessons from last time - alot of f & m was spread by DEFRA officials.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 23:02:15 »

Did I just hear the news on the radio right? The strain of F&M is the same as that found in vaccines - there is a lab a few miles away from the farm infected.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 23:33:57 »
This is dreadful news, we have floods, now pestalence..is the famine coming next,it is getting really scary out there
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 23:44:54 »
I live very near to the farm.We drove through Normandy on Friday evening and saw people in the fields picking up the cow poop and we were returning from Pirbright after looking at some cars which were for sale.We now have helicopters flying over and various news crews floating around.I'm almost certain we know the farmer but they haven't named him yet.Took my dogs out in the fields a couple of days ago and walked past another herd of cows which I believe is owned by the same farmer.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 01:42:01 »

Did I just hear the news on the radio right? The strain of F&M is the same as that found in vaccines - there is a lab a few miles away from the farm infected.

There are 7 strains, but all 7 are used at pirbright - so yes its going to be one of them.

I cannot believe the media about all this - i know a fair bit about FMD through my OH who works for the IAH, makes me wonder how much else they get wrong.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 01:49:13 »
They keep saying on the news the strain found is not normally found in animals... well where else is it found....my coffee machine obviously!

What they should be saying is its a strain not normally found in northern europe..

Sky news sucks btw

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:46:02 »

I cannot believe the media about all this - i know a fair bit about FMD through my OH who works for the IAH, makes me wonder how much else they get wrong.

I bet the list is as long as ya arm. >:(

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 15:46:19 »
If this did come from the lab, thank goodness they werent testing anything like a nerve gas when the 'leak' happened, or it could have been a lot worse!

cj :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 20:38:26 »
We buy most of our meat from a farm out that way - he works so hard with his Aberdeen Angus herds - which his grandfather started down here 80 years ago. It must be so terrible. Lets wait & see how much DEFRA can screw it up again.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 00:22:45 »
I am getting even more annoyed with the news, what a load of b*****ks, dont beleive any of it! I live in Compton about 100 yds from the IAH and have lived in Compton all my life, my OH works there and so do lots of my friends, and i can tell you what news is saying is a load of mis-informed, mis-reported, glamourised, one-sided clap-trap.. >:(

Now i know why we used to hang Witches..

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 11:32:41 »

The non-vaccination policy was set up for reasons of international trade. Countries free from Foot and Mouth Disease prohibit the import of animals or animal products from countries that vaccinate against FMD.

This is a quote from a veterinary research company.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 11:51:05 »
Thanks, luckydog
ok, another question, can any of the farmers choose to vaccinate their animals or would that affect milk and such ?  :)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 13:52:47 »
 :(

No idea where it came from, but I feel for all the farmers in the area, it must be the most stressful time imaginable.

So we have had floods, now F and M, hope it's not possible to see the return of BSE!

:'(

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 16:43:41 »
What worries me is that they are moving the dead animals a couple of hundred miles to Frome in Somerset to burn them!  Apparently the trucks are "sealed"  someone saw them last time and there was liquid dripping out of them!

Maybe it is not a good idea to be a farmer on the route through from Surrey to Somerset.

It is ghastly - I am now nearlly 99% vegetarian because of all the stuff going on in farms and how the farmers treat their animals - I have seen at first hand how some animals are treated and was distraught!

Which is why we all grow our own!

Old Bird

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal