Author Topic: Globe Artichokes  (Read 944 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Globe Artichokes
« on: August 03, 2007, 08:08:40 »
My young globe artichokes were looking pretty good a few weeks ago - lovely green blue leaves.  However, they have started to look more yellowy-green.   Any ideas what is wrong.  Should I be feeding or watering copiously?  I did take the first small globes off recently ......if that makes any difference.

Twinkletoes

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Globe Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:27:32 »
I am not sure about young plants, but my mature ones have always started to die back after I've harvested the globes. I suppose, with no buds or fruit to support, there is a mechanism for the plant to shut off supplies to that stem and concentrate them on developing fresh shoots from the base. You should soon be able to see these shoots, and as yours are young plants, you leave them there so that they can produce globes for you next year.

You're lucky to find globes, however small,  on young plants. I have a row of healthy looking young plants grown from seed in the spring, and they are supposed to have red globes. My plan is to transplant to a permanent position those that really are red, but there is no way to tell, yet. Artichokes don't come true from seed, so I need to keep on waiting, as I really fancy a row of red ones alongside a row of gree/purple ones.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:09:05 »
I've grown a couple of plants this year from seed, supposed to be purple too, I'm worried now you have said that! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 09:33:22 »
Perhaps I have misled you Artichoke.  They are 'young' plants having been split up from a mature one earlier this year.  I didn't grow them from seed.  Mind you, I have had a brand new one sprout up recently - I guess from a roving rhizome?

Twinkletoes

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:06:08 »
Twinkletoes, yes, I did think you meant young as from seed, but the same principle is true of both types of plant: once all buds have been removed, the flowering stalk dies back. Don't you normally find this happens?

My non-flowering, stubborn seedlings look robust and green at the moment, but my mature plants are a mess of dead leaves and gaunt stalks until I cut them down and reveal the new shoots.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 11:18:23 »
Trust me eh Artichoke  ::)   I'm still a newbie so am still discovering things that alarm me.  But as they have had an artichoke on them I guess they will die back.  I'll keep an eye on things.  Thanks for the help.

Twinkletoes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal