Author Topic: Bee's nest  (Read 1774 times)

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
Bee's nest
« on: July 30, 2007, 16:19:23 »
OK, so I know that bee's are not really pests and have many benefits, but I want rid!

After a couple of weeks away from the plot due to vacation and weather, I was a bit unhappy when I turned up to find my freshly strimmed plot was once again up to about a foot high in weeds and grass!

I have now dug over 8 beds, but when forraging around in the longish grass, I disturbed a bee's nest.

The nest is on the floor and seems to have been built in the thatch and roots under the grass.

I plan to dig a bed where the nest is, so would really like ot get rid of it.

Any advice?

I thought perhaps the council might help, but wondered if their methods may harm the soil?

Thanks
James
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

debster

• Hectare
Re: Bee's nest
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 20:21:05 »
we had a bees nest in the ground when we called the council they came out and told us they were mining bees and would move on very shortly, we were worried cos we were having our wedding evening in the garden and step daughter is allergic to bees, as promised they moved on and have never been seen again, our wedding was 5th august last year so if they are the same type will move soon (obviously might be slightly different due to unusual weather) council did not want to do anything and now glad they didnt

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 20:59:22 »
No bee's, no pollination, no planet.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 21:33:36 »
What would you suggest then Sinbad?  Work around them, and advise friends children not to poke around in the area?  Might be the best option, especially if as Debster experienced - they may well move on.

I didnt want my post to be seen as anti-bee, as Im aware of the benefits they bring to a garden, but im sure you can appreciate my desire to avoid disturbing them whilst gardening and being stung.
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 21:52:33 »
If you leave a small patch where the nest is, they'll be fine, they won't sting, and they'll disappear in the autumn.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 21:16:34 »
Sound advice to tell children not to poke around where there is a bees nest, teach them a bit of respect for insects, wildlife etc.

I think it has been said many times before it is not the norm for a bee to sting you unless provoked.

Sorry if I sound harsh James but it grieves me to hear so many people want to kill things these days if they are going to be put out. 

You know, these insects don't have an easy time of it without us humans wanting to bump them all off.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 14:03:13 »
Not harsh at all Sinbad.  You have provoked a lot of thought in me and changed my plan of action with regard to the nest.

I must confess that my immediate reaction was to want to move the bees away from 'my' space,  but reading your comments I realise that the bees have just as much right to be there as i have.

I will mark the area in some way (for my benefit as well as visitors!) and not dig the bed where previously planned.  If I leave them to their own devices they can only benefit the site.

Thanks for the comments - they have been taken on board.
James

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 23:09:26 »
Hi James,

I'll feel good if I've saved a few bee's lives :)

If you ever have time you should read up on the bumble bee's life.  I felt really sorry for them, they have quite a hard time.

Also the Honey bee which one see's a lot of ( that's the light beige one, well honey coloured really ) doesn't sting at all at the end of July.  They're cute little things if you take time out to watch them.

Have to say I take loads of time out watching all the insects and things on the lottie and, worms I'm just mad about to say nothing of watching the ants at work, they really are clever :D

Happy gardening James.

Sinbad

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal