Author Topic: Any reason not to use blue?  (Read 1704 times)

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
Any reason not to use blue?
« on: July 31, 2007, 09:13:12 »
Hi,

A newbie question.  I can get my hands on 20 thick, blue groundsheets (9x6) at a silly price.  As I'm sorting out a new plot is there any reason why I shouldn't use them instead of black polythene?  From my point of view they're easier to handle and more robust but may let a bit more (blue) light through than black.  Anyone used them before? Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks

Steve

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Re: Any reason not to use blue?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:40:29 »
I used some green builder's tarps.  They let a bit of green light through and this was enough to let a little of the couch grass start growing under them again.  Better than nothing I think but not as good as black covers that block the light completely.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 13:24:58 »
Blue is supposed to attract mossies?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 15:15:20 »
Blue is supposed to attract mossies?

I'd more worried about sudden swan landings  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 20:27:37 »
we used some blue tarp and covered it with free wood chip from the council,  ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 23:15:10 »
 :-\

Not sure that weeds care what colour it is, as long as it excludes light they will be miserable!

;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:08:17 »
Keep an eye on it. A lot of the blue plastic disintegrates in ultraviolet, leaving small scraps of plastic that take forever to get rid of. Otherwise, no problem.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:06:53 »
Hi,

A newbie question.  I can get my hands on 20 thick, blue groundsheets (9x6) at a silly price.  As I'm sorting out a new plot is there any reason why I shouldn't use them instead of black polythene?  From my point of view they're easier to handle and more robust but may let a bit more (blue) light through than black.  Anyone used them before? Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks

Steve

Bargain !! What i would suggest is that you add cardboard under the tarps this will help kill off whats underneath, adding the wood chips on top will make it less slippy  ;)

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 13:35:02 »
Thanks for the replies which are duly noted.

I take delivery on Sunday by which time I may have cleared it enough to start using them.  So far I've managed to cut almost all of it back to 4-6 inches, in the process finding all the bindweed which was hidden under the long grass and thistles.  It's been years since I learnt to use a scythe so it'e been discovering a lost art (and lost muscles).

My plan is to fold the sheets into 4x9 and use them where the beds will be.  I'm still thinking on paths, toying with just keeping them all cut back and letting the grass take over.

On a practical point, all the books say cut back and cover, they never say how far to cut back, ground level? couple of inches? low enough so you can get the covering on?  Yet again information gratefully received.

All the best

Steve

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 14:21:14 »
Ground level worked for me, guess the odd half inch won't matter!

;)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 17:56:15 »
Just seen this. A lady on the allotment site here used blue, but it does let the light through much more than black would, so it's best to use two thicknesses of it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 09:46:38 »
Cut as close as you can... leave the stuff where it falls if you are covering.. adds humus. The cardboard and mulch are good ideas too. I'd not do gass paths as the couch/bindweed will continually reinvade the beds..
 :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 19:34:05 »
As long as you cut back to the point where you can cover it, anything green left underneath will soon rot down. Woody stuff needs cutting right down.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal