Author Topic: a really thick question  (Read 2130 times)

debster

• Hectare
a really thick question
« on: July 30, 2007, 22:21:01 »
having read loads of lovely chutney recipes i am looking forward to trying some, what i have a problem with is this i thought when you made a chutney it should go into a sterile glass jar and sealed with the lid. i assume it is ok to recycle jam jars etc does it matter if they have that push click button
what about this water bath thingy and steam things surely not needed for a simple chutney?
sorry if im being thick

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: a really thick question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 22:36:07 »
Its fine to recycle jam jars etc.I use those "cook in sauce" jars for my beetroot.

They go in the dishwasher and clean up nicely.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 22:41:29 »
It depends on who you speak to, personally I am with the modern theories and use the water bath  even for jams and pickles and I do not use old recycled jars,I use only standard canning(bottling jars) with new lids every time.  I use a pressure canner for veggies and fish.

I am used to getting teased  in the UK for being fussy sometimes but it  is what I feel is safest.

Having lived in North America for many years I follow the USDA guidleines for all my preserving.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 22:45:46 »
i understand what you are saying jeannine and i know why but im sure if i manage to make any chutney it wont be in the jar long enough to do anyone any harm, everyone should do things the way they want to and feel most comfortable and safest doing so im sure there is some jealousy in that teasing
have pickled eggs and onions before will do a few beetroot just to try thanks fork

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 22:03:41 »
Not a daft question at all.

For chutney, I find Nutella glasses are good, because the vinegar doesn't react with the plastic lid.  I pop the glasses in the oven at 150C (can't do the little degree bit - sorry) for 10 minutes before filling.  The lids are just cleaned in the dishwasher. 

I can't ever remeber having a chutney go off, i suppose all that vinegar and sugar kills everything.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:44:49 »
I'm right with Jeannine when we're talking about canning veg, but I think that we can become too critical over jams, pickles & chutneys.

Yes, I wash old jars well & give them 30 min in the bottom oven (230F?) & I use a wax disc before the lid.
All vinegar things go in hot, but Marmalade goes in cool, so vacuum sealing does not seem to be important.

The result will never be as professional as Jeannines, but in over 50 years we have not lost anything (or, touch wood, anyone!) & some jars get left for as much as 2 years.

If in doubt, go with Jeannine!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 07:49:14 »
I have never used a water bath for jam or chutney mainly because I didn't know about the technique. I've just always followed Delia's instructions and they seem to work.

Very occasionally I get mould on a jar of jam - maybe one in 200? - but I just dump the affected jar. I think probably chutney is OK because of the vinegar. I keep both in the fridge once opened.

I've never bottled vegetables - I always freeze the surplus, either blanched and bagged or prepared for use (e.g. herbs and garlic in ice cubes).

I'd be very happy to try the water bath method if someone would be good enough to explain it to me.

I don't know what I'm doing for jam this year. Can I still pick rhubarb? I've missed the raspberries and the strawberries and the plums aren't ready yet.

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 20:19:19 »
I pickle in waht my dad calls "kilne jars" - the ones with the flip lid and rubber seal. Really difficult to find, ended up buying about a dozen when I found them. Wash them with soapy water then dry them in the oven at about a 100C.
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 20:44:42 »
Anne, the water bath is a means of ensuring that all air is forced out of the jars , some bacteria can grow where there is air even in a  pre sterilised jar.

I make my preserves much like anyone else,except I don't use wax, or jars that I cannot fit new  lids on with  2 pieces that seal.

I pre sterilise the jars and boil the two piece lids. I fill the jars and  screw on the lids and immediately immerse them in a tall pan filled with boiling water, the water goes over the top of the jars by about 2 inches.

They are then brought to the boil and the jam or whatever comes up to boiling temp again in the jar, depending on the produce it is held at this temp for a specific time. This sterilises the contents and drives out any air.

The jars are then left to cool on a towel and the lids seal down tight.

Note jars can seal tight without the bath but they can still contain air.

You CANNOT do veggies this way though they need the higher temp that only a pressure canner can do.

If you are looking for proper jars that will take the temp buy only proper preserving jars. If you want a freebie.. Bertolli spaghetti sauce is in a proper preserving jar, it is a  standard Mason jar, they take the standard canning jar 2 piece lids and can be used over and over again if the lid is replaced( the ring can be recycled) They are safe in a pressure canner.

For more info go to the USDA site on canning, there is an excellent book you can download and the whys and wherefores as to what to do with each thing, plus a lot of recipes.

It is not for me to say that others are wrong but I do personally only use only modern methods.Food can spoil in heavy vineagar or sugar given the right conditions if there is air present. Even a jar of purchased pickles can spoil once opened and exposed to the air.

This is an ongoing difference of opinion that many folks  have strong views on and it is for everyone to decide for themselves. I do suggest to folks that they do at least read both sides.

I would agree that jam or pickles that are to be used within a month or so are OK without the bath ,I keep mine for many years sometimes.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 21:46:15 »
If in doubt err on the side of caution.  I'm self-employed, I don't get sick pay, therefore I minimise risk wherever possible and I'm with Jeannine on this.  The expense of new jars and seals is outweighed by my own contents if you see what I mean  :)

All the best

steve

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 22:58:46 »
Thanks Jeannine. Sounds good. I'll pm you if I have questions?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal