Author Topic: Risotto - do you still do it ladle by ladle?  (Read 1454 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Risotto - do you still do it ladle by ladle?
« on: July 29, 2007, 19:40:46 »
Far to much hassle. Then I expressed surprise that No2 could do such a great one. Follow the instructions, she said. Just measure & chuck it all in together.

So I did. And always will!!

5,15 & 20 min.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 20:30:06 by tim »

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Re: Risotto - do you still do it ladle by ladle?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 20:26:52 »
Yes, Tim - I still do it ladle by ladle. Did a lovely broad bean risotto during the broad bean glut, but haven't one any since as OH isn't a great risotto fan.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 20:29:03 »
I love risotto, and yes i ladle bit by bit i find that you get the creamest flavour if you do.

I find that having a good book and a stool by the pan works for me :-)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 20:29:35 »
Part of our staple diet in this house.  Courgette & stilton is great - pea & mint - anything really - & I often stir sone chopped spinach or chard in at the last minute. & yes it's always a ladle at a time, I try to do it while the Archers is on.  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 22:01:06 »
Milan, where risotto comes from, being my second home (and my heart's first home) I've had more risotto recipes and variations than all of us together have had hot dinners; it is VERY important to put the stock in one ladle at a time. I've even been told it's important to stir clockwise and NEVER anti-clockwise. And the stock has to be rabbit stock, not chicken.

Actually, I don't always do this if I'm on my own in the kitchen, but Italians like to be around when cooking is happening (after all, it's their religion, and rightly so). They are intensely curious on all culinary matters, and extremely critical if you don't do it exactly as they would.  (Even if the end result is the same).

One I haven't had the courage to try yet is strawberry risotto.  I have a feeling it is a good one, but have other uses for strawberries.  Zucca (pumpkin) is one of the best, and an autumn favourite in this household.

:P :P :P :P :P
The Tuscan Beaneater

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 22:42:25 »
Risotto, yes a favourite here & i also do it ladle by ladle & stirring gently, we love any Italian food & i cook quite a lot really. I do a nice Italian chicken.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 05:59:29 »
Masochists!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 09:34:55 »
Am afraid I am a complete heathen as ever since trying Delia's recipe for oven baked mushroom risotto, everything now gets put in the simmering oven to do it's thing, always works out great.  pumpkin risotto is a favourite in this household :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal