Author Topic: Another chillie problem  (Read 842 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Another chillie problem
« on: July 27, 2007, 16:05:52 »
I suppose that this is just about the right forum - they are, after all, edible plants, but my problem is How do you clean the ruddy stuff off your hands & fingernails after you have been de-seeding and chopping them?
Have tried every detergent in the house, even white-spirit and acetone!
Still, if I rub my eye, or go to the loo several hours afterwards, I get an immediate reminder!

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
Re: Another chillie problem
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 16:33:17 »
Now although its not ideal.   I wear rubber washing up gloves. ( This is because I have contacts and love chillies ) - Not pink ones - you know.   A manly yellow !!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 16:44:10 »
Grab a few extra plastic gloves from your local petrol station.

redradish

• Not So New ...
    • Radish Patch blog
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 17:59:38 »
I used to buy those thin surgical type gloves (you can get them from some supermarkets or Wilkinsons) as they're not as clumsy to use as marigolds when you're chopping chillis finely with a vegetable knife. Trouble is, I still kept accidentally slicing off the very tips of the glove fingers when I was cutting near the hand holding the chilli in place, which defeats the object, and I eventually gave up with them. I use chillies quite often in cooking, and just use my naked hands now. Still stings if you forget and try to bite your nails later, but I think I'm just getting more used to it as it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

In the meantime, if someone did find a soap or something that removed the chilli oil from skin, I'd be more than happy to get some!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 21:47:21 »
I'm sure Trixibelle will whisk you something up.  :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 21:55:51 »
I wear gloves, but find the easiest way of cutting them is to hold them at stalk end and cut them with scissors, forming small circles, and let them drop into a colander, then rinse through it to remove the seeds (if you want seeds removed).

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 07:30:19 »
Take an over ripe tomato, sliced it in half and rub the halves all over your hands and let the juice and tomato stay on your hands for a couple of minutes then wash off

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal