Author Topic: sweetcorn, advice needed quite quickly  (Read 1881 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
sweetcorn, advice needed quite quickly
« on: July 27, 2007, 14:04:48 »
tried to search for it and it's probably been done to death
normaly, I blanch and freeze the whole cob, Ray's not keen but I can get him to eat the corn in with rice, etc, do I blanch or cook first before I take the kernels off ?, I've just brought home 4 lovely big cobs so it's quite urgent  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: sweetcorn, advice needed quite quickly
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 15:47:14 »
Take the kernels off before cooking.  Cut the bottom so you have a good flat bottom, then hold the cob firmly and I find a serrated knife the best, sawing down the cob.  The kernels go everywhere but it is quite an efficient way of doing it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 15:51:46 »
 Do you use the cobs for corn cob jelly,there is always a lot of flavour clinging to the cob when you remove the kernels.

Has your husband tried creamed corn, or corn chowder.

John will eat all three of the above but I have to push him to eat the corn XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 15:57:20 »
Do you use the cobs for corn cob jelly...
Has your husband tried creamed corn, or corn chowder.

ooh, jeannine they sound nice ;D
can you point me in the direction of any good recipes please?
(of course now I've cursed my sweetcorn and I won't get any cobs ::))

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 16:17:50 »
I will  post them all for you , give me a wee while as some of my books are in boxes. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 16:27:01 »
I will  post them all for you , give me a wee while as some of my books are in boxes. XX Jeannine

thank you, you're a sweetheart!!!
(no hurry, my sweetcorn plants are only about 8" high at the moment!)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 16:35:49 »
thanks for that, off to find my serrated knife now
unfortunately, jeannine, ray can't have any type of jelly, he's type 2 diabetic so we're on diet only for now, very little sugary stuff  :(
still, i may try the corn chowder and creamed corn, I've a lovely old recipe book with them both in, I'll go and dig it out of the cupboard  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 16:55:06 »
Actually I just realised I don't use a recipe for the chowder, it is a wing it recipe.

Here is what I do. This using about 5 cobs.

Veggie only eaters can make this using Veggie bacon.

I have not put any seasonings in the directions , so season to your own taste. I use only salt and pepper but I add it at the end in case the bacon is salty.

Start with about a pint or so of home made chicken stock, you can use a cube or a canned stock but homemade is best.

Remove the kernels off the cob exactly as Emma Jane described perfectly.

Put the stock on to heat with the empty cobs in too.

Cook a few slices of bacon till crisp, smoked  streaky is best for this. Remove from pan and crumble when cool.

Saute a  chopped onion   in the pan that the bacon was cooked in till transparent, add a bit of butter if needed you can add a  fine chopped celery stick to this if you wish

Add the cooked bacon, onions and celery to the stock the and add two peeled and diced good sized spuds,( reserve any fats in the pan.)

Before the potatoes get soft remove the cobs and scrape any juices back into the pan.

Saute a red pepper chopped very small in the bacon fat and add to the pan, toss the corn kernels in the hot fat for about a minute to heat and add them to the pan, they barely need cooking if they are very fresh cobs.

Add the red  pepper and kernels to the pan, simmer for just a few minutes then add a full pint of milk or part cream /part milk which I usually do.

Make a roux with the fats left in the saute pan add a bit of butter and use 2 tablespoons of plain flour.

Add to main pan.

Allow to thicken. Bear in mind this is chowder not soup and should be  thick.

I sometimes put the spuds in in two goes so some are breaking down and some in chunks.

I sometimes  thicken a bit more at the and with cornflour  and milk if not thick enough.

I sometimes chuck a bit of parsley in too.

Hope this helps , I tend to cook a bit like this.

XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 18:05:55 »
well, for now they're all chopped off and frozen, more to pick tomorrow  :)
thanks for the recipe, Jeannine, I usually make it up as i go along  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal