Author Topic: What is eating my raspberry leaves?  (Read 5746 times)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
What is eating my raspberry leaves?
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:06:22 »
We were given some raspberry canes last year by a neighbour who was moving.  We followed his instructions and planted them at 45 degrees (not sure why - anyone know?).  This year they have leaves but nothing else - I figured it'd be a while before we got fruit.  BUT now we have hardly any leaves as something is eating them.  All that is left is the spines of the leaves.  Looks to me like caterpillars but I can't find any!  There is no slime or anything either.

I'd take a pic but just for a change it's chucking it down with rain!!! ::)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What is eating my raspberry leaves?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 15:56:17 »
If you can't find any it's not caterpillars they are fairly low on evasion tactics. Could be our slimey friends... they need less mucous in very wet weather..
 :-\

inski

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 21:49:54 »
Hi

Dont know what's eating the leaves but you wont get any fruit until year 2. You get fruit next year on the canes that grow this year. After fruiting you cut those canes out, and leave the new canes

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:15:25 »
Hi

Dont know what's eating the leaves but you wont get any fruit until year 2. You get fruit next year on the canes that grow this year. After fruiting you cut those canes out, and leave the new canes

Only on summer fruiting varieties. Autumn fruiting will fruit this year.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:56:33 »
Might be slug damage, the slugs do climb up onto mine, but normally go for the fruit rather than the leaves. Not had this pest myself. Does sound like some sort of larva, by your description.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 10:48:18 »
I have had some mollusc damage on raspberry leaves, but as the canes are near currants and gooseberry bushes, they have also been attacked by the gooseberry sawfly larvae.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal