Author Topic: Encouraging wildlife  (Read 1337 times)

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
Encouraging wildlife
« on: May 01, 2007, 23:23:19 »
As part of my allotment (when I get it) I want to create a small wildlife area to encourage insects, birds and animals that will be useful to my plot and keep my kids distracted and educated.

I have a rough idea of what I will need to create a small habitat of about a pallet in area but what is the best way to encourage animals etc. to make new homes in the area I provide, will they just turn up if the situation is good for them or is there anything I can do to improve my chances?
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: Encouraging wildlife
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:36:12 »
:)

The wildlife will come to you,you can put all the log piles out,bee boxes,lacewing houses etc up but............

put carpet down on your plot and suddenly you have lots of frogs and toads underneath,lacewings and butterflies hibernate in your shed, bees nest in compost bins... the list goes on,

they usually find somewhere other than where you expected them to be ;D /shades x
grow your own way

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:51:52 »
Hi angle shades,  :D
                                  According to most experts, ::) a pond ,however small is the best way of attracting wildlife. Even just sinking an old washing up bowl will encourage
 them to call.
                     Adrian.

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 11:48:38 »
have you seen the wildlife hotel on the next page it tells you how to build a wildlife habitate from old pallets
Sue

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal