Author Topic: British gas are scheming and unbelievable!!  (Read 1420 times)

springbok

• Hectare
British gas are scheming and unbelievable!!
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:23:52 »
I changed my energy to Scottish Power as from the 1st April. 
British Gas phoned me up and offered me all sorts over the phone and told me if I wish to come back they will send me a letter, when it arrives to phone up and let them know if I wanted to switch back.

This morning I have received a letter from British Gas telling me I am switching back to them on the 14th June and that I agreed a contract over the phone.  I clearly didnt.  I said I would ring them if I wanted to come back to them.

ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE FOLKS... they keep saying that I agreed this and I dont want to go back.

My bill has gone from 15 a week to 5 a week.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: British gas are scheming and unbelievable!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:48:22 »
You can get Scottish Power to sort this out for you.  Read this from energywatch, the consumer watchdog for gas & electrcity:

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/help_and_advice/problems_switching_supplier/index.asp

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:43:00 »
Well as far as I'm aware, you haven't signed anything, so I fail to see how they can uphold this "contract" of theirs.  It's dirty tactics and unfortunately most of them will do this and worse to get your custom.

A word of caution however - something I found out in my poverty lecture recently (like I need a lecture in it - I live it!).  A lot of the phone calls and doorstep calls are for a simple reason and it's not necessarily to get your custom.  They actually make a note of anyone who says that they're unemployed, on a pre-payment meter or in debt to their energy company and you're then put on a list of "undesirables", they're actually out looking for those customers they want to avoid.  Another measure is that a lot of the computerised phone systems are programmed so that those customers they don't want to speak to i.e. those struggling to pay etc are left waiting the longest and those wonderful customers they love are answered straight away.  Straight from my lecturers mouth, I kid you not.  So don't do what I've been doing which is telling them all I owe thousands to my energy company just to get rid of the pushy so and so's, it could come back and bite you on the bum!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:56:30 »
I hope you get this sorted out springbokgirlie.  I think you have made a good decision changing to Scottish Power.  We have been with them for 2 or 3 years now and our bills have gone down!  To begin with it was to do with changing our supplier but more recently we have changed all the light bulbs to energy saving ones.  I also get a discount for submitting my meter readings on line. 

Good luck with getting rid of British Gas, they really do try it on!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal