Author Topic: Dont know how the weather is where you live now  (Read 3444 times)

helenruss

• Not So New ...
  • 2nd love photography!
Dont know how the weather is where you live now
« on: July 25, 2007, 15:47:42 »
Ive been lucky enuf not to be hit with floods where i live but am finding the weather very frustrating at the mo. When im at work its beautiful when im off its like a monsoon so i cant go to my new plot. Thank god for this site i say, many happy hours spent reading forum posts and learning learning learning.  By the way was everyone as obsessed as i seem to be about the whole thing when they 1st started ;D

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: Dont know how the weather is where you live now
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 15:55:43 »
I'll second everything you've written helenruss!
weather in norfolk has been very changeable: blazing sunshine one minute torrential rain the next, but thankfully no floods.
and yes, during weekdays it's glorious, then as soon as I go out for lunch or start to walk home, the heavens open ::)
looking on the bright side, it means I don't have to worry about watering anything at the moment. am just V grateful that we haven't had any flooding.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 16:43:43 »
..some wise words there.

I waited for a stimmer to get on top of the weeds and now with the weather the weeds are growing back before i can get to them. Its annoying, flustrating but i am warm and dry when i get home so i just need to work harder when i have the weather. Went out today on blue sky and 30 min later i was hiding in the shed from very heavy rain.

Home now and there is amazingly strong winds here so i doubt i can get back to the lotty.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 17:38:59 »
Hi Helenruss
yes I was that obsessed and still am! Gardening magazines, this site, tv programmes, introducing allotment stuff into just about any conversation I can, going up there whenever the weather allows, buying even more seeds.........I think I am an allotment bore

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 18:08:36 »
I've been quite happy with the weather, allotment wise.  I'm still in the initial digging phase and the damp soil is much easier to dig than when it was baked hard a month or three ago.  Plus I've not had to bother with much watering or with hunting down a water but: my plot is the furtherest from the taps.  So, so far not too bad, but I think that the rain might have buggered my courgettes as they don't seem to be doing much in terms of producing fruit and the leaves have started turning yellow  :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 00:10:36 »
You're bound to get spells like this occasionally; I was flooded three times in my first year on the plot. You just have to soldier on, and plan for the not too distant future, when this is just a bad memory.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 14:04:43 »
Hear Hear Robert!!

We've been lucky down here so far. Bournemouth doesn't really flood due to the lack of rivers but when those drains fill up...you never know!
As for obsessed - it just gets worse Helenruss. Worse and worse.  ;D ;D ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 20:35:31 »
Incurable, in fact.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 21:27:27 »
Obsessed, who is obsessed, not me. I am perfectly in control, as are my 200 varieties of toms and my 120 varieties of squash.

I can't be doing with obsessions !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 22:00:33 »
Exactly Jeanine - I'm in total control and loving it!!!!!!!!!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 22:04:00 »
 ;D

helenruss

• Not So New ...
  • 2nd love photography!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 11:03:14 »
Glad to hear the obsession is not mine alone.. just a thought, what is it about the tea you make in ur shed that makes it taste si mighty fine lol

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:30:43 »
I don't know.....boasting a bit here.........we have a community hall with a full kitchen !! LOL XX Jeannine

OH and a library
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

helenruss

• Not So New ...
  • 2nd love photography!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 09:44:24 »
Full kitchen!!!!  arnt u the lucky 1 x

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 10:06:14 »
My OH abandoned all hope of ever seeing me for any length of time when I purchased a little portable stove to make tea when I'm down the lottie...... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 11:42:49 »
Weather today here in Hull is sunny and breezy, quite pleasant actually, our lottie ground is now dried out  but covered in weeds. Joh is going to start the big clean up this week if the weather stays the same

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 12:18:51 »
We are lucky in that we don't flood around here, although the heavy rain has brought lots of pests/diseases. I have lost a few crops - all my toms to blight and all potatoes (although I managed to chop the tops off in time and seem to have quite alot of potatoes anyway) and a few other things. The weather has perked up though this weekend!!  ;D It has been hot and sunny in Manchester today and yesterday. Here's to hoping that the weather continues to improve as we am going up to Whibty for a few days soon!

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 13:14:22 »
Same as Jeannine here in Npton and it was beautiful yesterday, started to rain in the evening just as I left, perfect.

I've been very lucky on my plot, it's a little higher than many others on my site who have been flooded out by the sheer volume of rain water.

I couldn't survive down my lottie without a cup of tea, no fitted kitchen or fresh running water, just a little gas burner like Deb, oh, and a bucket in the shed to put the used tea bags in. ;)

Addicted, obsessed, not me, just because I looked for allotment sites before I looked at properties on the web...  (Should be moving in about six months)

got a lottie got a life

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 17:16:53 »
It's fine here today, but the soil is so sodden it might as well be heavy clay rather than light loam.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 20:09:23 »
It has been lovely and sunny all day, I have just come home after a productive afternoon on the plot ;D ;D ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal