Author Topic: fig  (Read 930 times)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
fig
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:34:07 »
 ;D 8) ;D
   My wife has just bought me a small fig tree/bush and i want to grow it in a 9/10" pot, it`s called brown turkey(maybe turkey brown) and about 14" high, any advice please, will J.I. no2 be ok?.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: fig
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 17:56:38 »
As you say a heavier compost, we used number 3...
It will need repotiing every couple of years or feeding well, after about 10 years our Brown Turkey stopped producing but now we have it in the ground, in a proper pit, it is really productive!
 ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 18:47:53 »
Brown Turkey is very reliable with quite tasty fruit.  It can grow large so I would suggest a much bigger pot-as large as you can move when full if you intend to grow it outside.

If you have compost bin compost you can save some money by half filling the pot with that and then topping up with JI No3 as suggested

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:09:54 »
 ;D :)  Thanks Sadad and Cleo i will do what you suggest, i will plant it out today.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 21:17:17 »
my fig is in a pot and is app 4 foot high i,v had it 2 years and got 2 figs off it last year. there are about ten on it at the moment but i have noticed 2 are going mushy is it too wet? i have pot on 2 bricks to help drainage
what on earth can i do to stop the rot?
marg  :'(
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:56:48 »
I've lost a couple to rot this year, for the first time ever so I think it is just the lousy weather Marg... pick them off, try to avoid getting the others damaged ...
Nothing really except keep your fingers crossed...
 :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal