Author Topic: How far is too far?  (Read 3262 times)

Lizann

• Half Acre
How far is too far?
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:03:48 »
I've been waiting several years for an allotment.  I've got quite a bit of room in raised beds in my garden and my OH has made me another couple for this year. 

A local group have been offered a site for allotments, but it's six miles away from me.  I stay in a rural location in any case.  Would be grateful for your opinions as to how far is too far to reasonably travel to an allotment and whether six miles would just put you off going there and make it unreasonable.  I could always just put the bigger stuff that needs slightly less looking after there, so I don't need to go every day.  But then again, in the summer I'd probably want to go every day. 

There is the possibility of another site coming up much closer to home, and am tempted to wait and see if that comes off.  Decisions decisions. 
Lizann :0)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: How far is too far?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:34:18 »
If you drive that's probably acceptable. I'd take it and see how it goes while staying on the other list for one nearer home... if you really get the bug you might want a second plot...  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:48:51 »
Well we drive about 6 or 7 miles to our plot and we find it ok. We do travel in a Suzuki van so petrols not an issue. In the summer months we go for the day (weather permitting)
We could have a plot 5mins walk away but the soil is so heavy and breaks yer back to dig it.
I suppose a lot depends on how much time you have. We are retired so can pretty much choose when we go but twould be a different matter if we were working.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 08:52:35 »
I used my garden for many years for veg but have to say there is a lovely community spirit on the lottie which is missing behind the fence at home.  There are three allotment holders on our site who drive quite a distance and one has given up but I think her back injury was more the cause than the distance.  Depends on the roads 6 miles might only be 10-15 mins but through town traffic it might be a lot longer.

I agree with Shirlton it also depends too on how much time you have spare.  Some crops need a lot less attention until it stops raining. 

A bird in the hand and all that.

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:56:47 »
Well, I do work, I'm self employed and work full time from home.  So realistically if it was a good day I could go through the day and work at night, chop and change to suit.  And it's country roads, so 15 minutes would be a realistic maximum travelling time, I would say.  Could also put the stuff there that doesn't need as much attention, keep the tender stuff at home.  Hmm ... it's looking like it's not impossible, then.   :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:06:29 »
Due to a move early in the spring this year i found myself duddenly a lot further away fmo my old allotment.... previously it had been about mid-way between home and work, and as I drove every day it was always easy to visit it. Then I moved 30 miles away (closest I could afford to buy a house) and began commuting by bicycle and bus.... now that meant the allotment was a good 20 minutes away from work and I'd still need to cycle back (for 20 minutes) to get the bus home.

As you have some space in beds at home as well, I would suggest you adopt the plan that I used for the plot. Basically I divided it yup into four sections, one was for potatoes (maincrops), one for squashes and pumpkins, one for shelling beans and one for onions. For me these are all crops that you have a big day planting out (all bar the spuds were started in modules and small pots), have a biggish day harvesting (OK, the beans come in over a longer period) but between times don't demand too much in the way of attention, getting up there once or twice a week for a few hours weeding and watering was all they needed...

Don't feell that that is a planting recommendation, it's a strategy one, you might have other crops that fit the bill, but anything that needs a lot of attention, stupid amounts of water, picking over regularly or counts as a winter vegetable I'd keep at home, stuff that doesn't, grow on the plot....once you've had a year of this then it's easier to decide whether to keep it on and push forward with it....

chrisc

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:32:18 »
ours is about 5 miles away, we drive to it and, like Shirlton, we make a day of it when we go  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 09:43:57 »
Personally i think that a full time job and an allotment will need careful time managment.  Lotties are kind of addictive.  I am not sure I think that 15 mins travelling makes much difference.  With no commuting time I think that getting away from the house for a while will make a nice break.  

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 14:20:49 »
Thanks for all advice.  Chrisc, your suggestion sounds very good.

Roll on spring!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal