Author Topic: Where exactly is your allotment? - Region - South East  (Read 78659 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
Re: Where exactly is your allotment? - Region - South East
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2010, 22:31:56 »
Just took an overgrown plot in Holmbury St Mary, no fencing or water though. I like a challenge! Only £15 a year so cannot complain.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2010, 22:44:18 »
Not far away from you down in Horsham.

Good luck with your challenge ipt8, a bit like my plot when I took it over. The soil should be good underneath all that overgrown vegetation though  ;)

Ninny

Robby3Fish

• The Pebble Master
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2010, 06:14:58 »
I'm not telling. You'll Chiv my pumpkin.   ;)
That shallot

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2011, 11:17:07 »
Having joined A4A very recently I’ve dropped in to say hello to my neighbours in the south east. Also a special wave along the coast and across the Downs to everyone in Sussex like me.

B.A.H.A is where I am when I can get there weather and commitments permitting. I have one and a half plots and love them. The main plot has been in the family for a little more than 50 years. Does that count as a heritage site?  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2011, 19:49:59 »
Hello from the far end of Sussex!

What's B.A.H.A.?

Having a plot in the family for over 50 years sounds amazing - tell us that story? Who was the first one on there and how did you end up with it?

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2011, 01:46:12 »
Hello from the far end of Sussex!

What's B.A.H.A.?

Having a plot in the family for over 50 years sounds amazing - tell us that story? Who was the first one on there and how did you end up with it?

Hi pigeonseed.  :)  I'm further west

BAHA = Bognor Allotment Holders Association

The plot was my fathers when we first moved south. I was about 6 when he took it on. Over the years I helped out now and then. When my father was ill I offered more help until eventually he was sowing seeds at home in his greenhouse and I was planting them out and running the plot.

Now that he's 96 he continues to offer advice and, once in a while, is able to go and view the plot. At other times I use his tv to show photos of how things are going on "our" plot.
Team work.  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2011, 06:53:20 »
good to "meet" you Aden Roller. And what a great way to share the plot  :)

another one over in the east  ;)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2011, 11:46:18 »
good to "meet" you Aden Roller. And what a great way to share the plot  :)

another one over in the east  ;)

Nice to meet you too.   :)

My grandfather was born is Hastings... a long time ago (and his name was Harold!!)   ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2011, 18:20:56 »
LOL !!!!!

Izzy08

« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2011, 14:06:24 »
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me..

I've been wracking my brains as to what to get my mum for her 50th birthday! (Monday) although she is away until tues, but I'm at uni so have a little longer to sort it out!

After thinking long and hard (I'm blonde, so this occassionally hurts... Nothing to do with my science degree..) and then I remembered she's always wanted an allotment! And she is on the waiting list - unfortunately, I have no contacts who work in the council who could push her up the list, so to speak!
I rang up today, and she is on the waiting list for Woodlands road, Gillingham. Beacause she lives in Darland, this is the closest plot this is the list she gets allocated to .. although I'm sure she'll be prepared to travel 5-10 mins in the car!

In 2009 she was 90 something on the list, today she was around 74th!

Now, for her birthday I was going to pay her allotment fees for a year - and obviously beacause I cannot wrap it, I was going to put banners up and take her there - thought it would be a lovely idea - until the woman told me she was 70+ on this list.

I then search private allotments.. and not much joy there..

Please please, can anyone help..
In the Gillingham (Kent) area: Does anyone own 2+ plots and are willing to share.
Or does anyone have a plot they are finding difficult on there own and are willing to share????

Any information anyone has, I would be very grateful!!!!

Many thanks
 :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2011, 14:16:21 »
Welcome to the forum Izzy.  You've just discovered the hard facts that allotments are fashionable, there aren't enough of them and once you get one you hang onto it until it's prised out of your cold dead fingers!

If it's growing space as opposed to an allotment your Mum wants, then you might have more luck on Landshare:

http://www.landshare.net/

Great idea for a present though - I hope you get lucky!

Izzy08

« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2011, 14:27:01 »
Thanks ceres,

I'll check it out - although its a pain keep in-putting personal details! haha

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2011, 14:34:36 »
No pain, no gain!

Most allotment sites open their gates for a short period sometime over the weekend.  You could find out when that is for your chosen site  (may be a sign on the gate or hang around and ask people going in) and make yourself known to a committee member.  They may know of someone who could use some help.  However, your Mum wouldn't get any ownership rights to the plot and would still have to wait her turn on the waiting list.

Izzy08

« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2011, 14:53:27 »
Hmm, yes, great idea! Thanks

I understand that plot share would have nothing legal with it, and fall out, having to stop etc may occur - its one of those awkward choices isnt it? You can use space in a plot, knowing that you may have to give it up or you wait for 10 years to be allocated one!

lollydeakins

« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2012, 19:15:37 »
Hello a newbie here.
Just got our first plot in Edenbridge. I'd heard the waiting lists were crazy but rang up anyway to get on the list and found out no one is waiting and there were 3 and 1/2 to choose from! lucky lucky me!!!  :D So off I skipped down there to meet the allotment manager and choose my patch.
So I only have 2 weeks to wait until I can 'move in'....I'm incredibly excited!
I used to have a small veggie patch in my garden but then along came 2 kids, 4 cats and 2 dogs (not all at the same time!) and put an end to my little peace of heaven so very much looking forward to getting stuck in and the plot is in good condition too so not much digging to do  :)
Got a greenhouse coming (thanks Freecycle) on Tuesday for the garden so I can get things going in there too. Yipeeeeee  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2012, 17:03:54 »
So.... how are we all doing in the south east with this dreadful shortage of water?  ::)

No hosepipe ban where I am not that anyone in their right mind would want to use one right now.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2012, 00:06:51 »
So.... how are we all doing in the south east with this dreadful shortage of water?  ::)

No hosepipe ban where I am not that anyone in their right mind would want to use one right now.

Hosepipe ban here and standpipe threats looming already for next spring  ::).................and here I am, at the ready to instruct hubby and son on how to syphon the water from their baths down to my water butts.  :)

It's early days and may the heavens always open (at night time). Good wishes to all us South Eastern gardeners and allotmenteers for the growing season, not forgetting those at all compass points who also suffer at times.

Ninny

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2012, 08:23:39 »
The keep telling us all the rain we are having will not help the drought as the summer rain is taken up by the plants or evaporates.

Well that may be true if the ******* sun would show its self  >:(
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:09 »
We really could do with some warmth in the next few weeks or it'll be a late start to the growing season.

Where's the sunny south gone to?  :(

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2012, 23:25:28 »
Is there anyone else out there from our south east region? Perhaps we've had some new members join us?

I was wondering how everyone was doing down south in this drought ridden-hosepipe ban season?

Wet or what?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal