Author Topic: Orchid help watering  (Read 1999 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Orchid help watering
« on: July 22, 2007, 18:11:06 »
M in Law just bought an Orchid today and we were wondering about watering it. We have put a tube of feed into the soil(orchid feed) which slowly releases the feed.

The Make is Phalaenopsis Hybri

Andy help please.....

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: Orchid help watering
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 18:26:52 »
I've had a couple of these in the past from Ikea and they last for ages if you keep them right.

I'm not an expert on orchids, but they do say to only moisten the bark & moss compost which they are in and not to pot them into regular compost.

If you do find that you need to pot it on which is unlikely, buy some special orchid compost from a garden centre or B&Q.

I haven't ever been able to get a second flower spike from the ones that I have bought mind you, so once the flowers have dropped off all you will have are the leaves which aren't much to look at.

Keep it out of draughts / heat / smoky atmosphere and it should last for ages

Good Luck :)
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 19:13:03 »
Thanks for that. have given her instructions with the warm sprayer every 4-5 days.... Just have to wait and see if another death occurs.

It will match the other "stick" in the pot!!!!! ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 09:45:21 »
Andy when they have finished flowering, (you may have a long wait!) cut the flower spike in half down to a node, mine usually re flower from this point.
Keep them in a bright area, out of direct sun, and I water mine ahem when I remember, but aim for about once a week, and don't let them sit in the water.
HTH

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:38:46 »
I've been quite successful with mine. Water weekly but as said before don't allow to sit in water. I keep mine on the kitchen windowsill out of direct sun. 2 new leaves and a flower stem which sprouted fom the base last year. I can just see another flower stem budding at the base.
Good luck.
YL

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 12:46:25 »
I plunge mine onto luke warm water (just above rom temp. 30C), cold water gives them a shock as they come from tropical rain forrest areas.

Once plunged let it drain.

Plunge and drain once a week. Now and again I add half strength balanced liquid feed to plunge water.

If the environment is particularly dry, place plant on a gravel tray with added water to provide a humid atmosphere, OR place near to , but not directly in line of, a kettle.

Orchids are epiphytes with air roots. IE. they dont like their roots in contact with water or soil, so only pot them in bark.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 20:54:09 »
Some good info, thanks guys and gals. Will inform the mother in law.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 20:56:55 »
I have mine on a window ledge where they appear quite happy, do not feed on the top. Put a dish under and keep it full. I put cold tea in at least once a month as they love the tanin.

Be warned having orchids can be adictive!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal