Author Topic: Flood  (Read 7927 times)

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
Re: Flood
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2007, 14:34:03 »
Too sad, back to topic.

I am going to have to think about what to do long term on the allottment, I can't have her flooding again like that.  My raised beds are 10" high with 2" under the soil level.  I suppose that 12" above ground would be a significant improvement but the cost of the timber would be horrendous.  Just what is Plan B I wonder?

Jack's in the Green.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2007, 15:57:00 »
I don't bother with timber edging. it doesn't look so pretty but it does the job. I suppose it depends what type of soil you have too. Clearly we are all going to have to be inventive if we are ro expect floods recurring regularly. perhaps take advice from the Dutch..

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2007, 22:47:57 »
OldMan,  have you tried evilBay for timber?

I've been on recently as I'm going to build some timber beds and a lot of suppliers are reasonable in their pricing in your area but won't deliver this far north :(

You may find a bargain on there!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 08:58:20 »
Won't deliver that far North?  What a shame.  I have a fellow allotment holder who part owns a sawmill so i always get my timber at very reasonable rates, but my allotment is 60' x 20 which means 8 beds 4'x20' plus fruit cage - an awful lot of timber!  Any other ideas are welcome.

I am sure that if you could organise a large order he will take a day out and deliver.  For forms sake, I suppose I would have to send you his name and number away from this site.  I will send it via Dan.  If you would like to pass his name and number on please say so and route the request through Dan.

Jack

Jack's in the Green.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2007, 14:14:27 »
if you search, I'm sure someone said Wickes will give away free pallets, there was quite a discussion about them  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007, 17:59:35 »
Back to topic again...........we had a nasty thought this am that not everyone had been accounted for. Wonder how many more.

And did you see this Old Man? Sure I put it somewhere.

http://www.pcplanets.com/searchyoutube-Bourton-under-Water.shtml

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 18:27:31 »
This beggars belief ...

I have been listening to the news all day about how some b***** sabotaged water supplies by peeing in it .... who in their right mind could be so vindictive ????  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

... guys I'm at a loss to say anything helpful but know I'm thinking of you all in your hours of trouble ...

... all I can think of is to offer any seeds that might help you get started again when you eventually see your soil - pm me if I can help  .....

((((((((((((( the hugest hugs are yours )))))))))))))
Flo x
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2007, 18:36:36 »
M'lady - they did say, on the Hester Estate, that they had not actually seen anyone doing it.

But I'm glad to see that the Police say prison for those overturning bowsers etc.

And Jeannine - happened to say to a friend in New Orleans that 'sorry about your floods but how about ours?'

Uh??

And he's a very well informed chappie!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 19:25:47 by tim »

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2007, 21:11:13 »
Sorry to go back off topic again but...

I am sure that if you could organise a large order he will take a day out and deliver.  Jack

Thanks Jack.  There's a guy about 15 miles from me who may be able to sort me out, but if he can't come through I may well take you up on that offer! :)

now back to flooding....
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2007, 21:38:32 »
more rain due in the areas that were flooded, i fear its not over!!

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2007, 22:40:25 »
Back to topic again...........we had a nasty thought this am that not everyone had been accounted for. Wonder how many more.

And did you see this Old Man? Sure I put it somewhere.

http://www.pcplanets.com/searchyoutube-Bourton-under-Water.shtml

My grizzling is then just crapulent whining.  We are nowhere near as close to it as this.

Jack
Jack's in the Green.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2007, 11:44:22 »
Tim that is interesting about your New Orleans friend, the other US friend mentioned who didn't know was from Carolina.

Perhaps this is a reaspn why some have heard and some not.. most of my friends are further North, Oregon, Washington, California, Utah,Nevada and Canada, perhaps the news reached the North and not the South. I think that is interesting actually.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2007, 13:29:59 »
The forecast at lunchtime said high pressure is on the way next weeK! :D :D

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2007, 20:20:31 »
The Met Office rainfall map shows a severe weather warning across southern England, with yet more quite heavy rain overnight for Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, and all the recently affected areas.  It looks like it's in the West Country right now and spreading eastwards rapidly.

:( :( :(

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2007, 21:32:47 »
Tim that is interesting about your New Orleans friend, the other US friend mentioned who didn't know was from Carolina.

Perhaps this is a reaspn why some have heard and some not.. most of my friends are further North, Oregon, Washington, California, Utah,Nevada and Canada, perhaps the news reached the North and not the South. I think that is interesting actually.

XX Jeannine

My friends who didn't know are also in Carolina (Raleigh and Chapel Hill) Friend in NY did know but she doesn't watch American news, she watches BBC!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2007, 23:14:14 »
It's coming down steadily here right now.

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2007, 16:21:34 »
No rain for 2 days!  Churn is back as a river and my allotment does not resemble the Ganges delta.

8)
Jack's in the Green.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2007, 19:50:57 »
yippie glad to hear :-)

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2007, 10:21:15 »
Not going down very fast so I suppose that it is still flooding Oxford as the source of the Thames and several tributaries are here.  How is everyone else getting on?
Jack's in the Green.

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2007, 10:28:23 »
I had some black plastic sheeting down when I got flooded.  After the water subsided I tried to dry the plastic up to put it away.  Under the plastic (keeping dry) were bank voles that have been flooded out of their burrows on the Churn!

Marvellous little rascals!  Unfortunately, I have had to put the plastic back as otherwise they will be homeless!
Jack's in the Green.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal