Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 2201 times)

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
Raspberries
« on: July 19, 2007, 18:24:49 »
Hi all

I want to grow raspberries next year - what's your fave and why ????

cheers

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 18:31:36 »
We grow Glen Magna, Joan J and Tulameen.  The Joan J is extremely prolific and grows everywhere rampantly. They are all tasty, we're not sure which we like best. After all, taste is a matter of opinion.  :P :P :P
The Tuscan Beaneater

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 18:38:02 »
I grow Joan J and Autumn Bliss fantastic fruit and easy to look after you just cut them to the ground in the winter

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 23:05:49 »
Glen Ample for me.  Summer fruiting over a long period and love big fruit.  A good, tart, raspberry flavour, very fragrant.  They thrive in the dappled shade of my apple trees.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 23:08:44 »
Another vote for Joan J from me - very reliable and tasty.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 04:43:59 »
my favourite ones would be the ones OH and i picked last night which I put by the shed and duly forgot once we had picked everything else, went down the boat, came home and had dinner and looked for our dessert.....outside it was raining and has been ever since.... do you think that they will still be there now...btw...had alot of what i can only call doubles, one stem with two nearly formed fruit, anyone else had this and why?
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 07:42:32 »
thanks all for your input, Joan J seems to have won the straw poll, think I'll try both summer and autumn varieties yum  ;D

Tilts - probably made a fine feast for the mickeys and shrews -and no doubt the d**n slimeys!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 07:47:34 »
If you grow both you have to remember not to cut the Summer ones right down, each year, or you will get no fruit!
 ;D

Rohaise

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 13:25:25 »
As I keep on telling you all ,mine (Glen something ) are still only, no more than 6 inches high ,after now a year and a half  and I have given up ...going to change their location next Autumn...may be get new plants.   Has anyone grown them from seed or is that a mad idea ?   (Just thought it might be cheaper )

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 00:57:13 »
...btw...had alot of what i can only call doubles, one stem with two nearly formed fruit, anyone else had this and why?

Yes, I get these "siamese twin" sort of fruits, think it's something to do with the pollination, but nothing to worry about.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 01:18:54 »
As I keep on telling you all ,mine (Glen something ) are still only, no more than 6 inches high ,after now a year and a half  and I have given up ...going to change their location next Autumn...may be get new plants.   Has anyone grown them from seed or is that a mad idea ?   (Just thought it might be cheaper )
I believe your raspberries may be summer fruiting types, which means that new stems grow during the summer, and you leave these over winter. they then fruit the following summer. After fruiting you cut the stems that have fruited down, and leave any new ones that have grown that year. These then fruit the following year.
I wouldn't try and grow from seed at all. Try and make sure the soil is kept well watered, and if you've got any good rich compost, put it around the base of the plants. Give a really thick mulch (say, 10cm) of rotted horse muck all around the base of the plants in early spring (Feb/Mar), to make the soil nice and soft and rich. They won't do well in rock hard, dry soil. Don't apply lime to the soil, or use mushroom compost. 

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 08:36:12 »
Hi
Don't know if you've already bought your canes, but I wanted to recommend an ebay seller.

This year I got my new plot and bought 24 canes from 8 varieties from an ebay seller called daveaber0. These cost me 22 pounds which included postage. The canes were really healthy and all of them are now healthy strong plants I've even had fruit from the autumn varieties even though I pruned them all hard back when they went in.

he does all sorts of other fruit offers.
No we arent related! hes just a good seller.

Sunloving

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:05 »
I`v had some white raspberry canes given to me can anyone tell me when they fruit and when they are cut back, and what do they taste like? :-\

Nadia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 13:10:55 »
White raspberries are starting to fruit now. They are sweeter than the red ones.  They last till the autumn then cut at the end.

Nadia
When you live you see, but when you walk you see more

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 12:15:58 »
What are white raspberries ?  Where can you buy them from ?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 13:35:04 »
We're fans of Tiny Tims, but I think they are only available from one supplier and are a bit pricey.

http://www.giftsthatgrow.co.uk/products/?product%5B%5D=Raspberries

- designed for containers but seem very happy on the allotment.

Also curious about white raspberries -never heard of them before.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 13:44:31 by Barnowl »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 23:26:04 »
My allotment neighbour has white raspberries.  Very odd but delicious.  She has had hers for years, no idea where they came from. 

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 01:08:45 »
We had white raspberries in the garden when I was a child. I remember they were delish, nicer and sweeter than the red ones  :P :P :P :P :P :P
The Tuscan Beaneater

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 07:21:19 »
My daughter got my white raspberry for me for fathers day, even if they did turn up 6 months later,due to planting times.
  I will ask her where she got them from.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal