Author Topic: Magpies on the loose!!!  (Read 2564 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Magpies on the loose!!!
« on: June 03, 2004, 13:54:51 »
Its that time of year again when the local magpie young start to leave the nest and spread their wings. Whilst these birds tend to be a bit of a nuisance the young are quite comical and amusing to watch as they learn to fly and explore the world.

God help all the other birds in the neighbourhood (which i prefer to magpies). I think at this time they must let out a collective groan "Oh no not the bl**dy magpies again!"  The dear blackbirds seem to get the worst of it, the 'maggies' harrass them something chronic.  >:(

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re:Magpies on the loose!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 14:50:44 »
Just as an update, they may make a nuisance of them selves, but Magpies are certainly good parents. They have even been taking on the local cats if any have gotten near their young. One cat has actualy been physicaly attacked by the parent magpies when it wouldnt get the message. The cat now has a serious complex about magpies (and the birds know it - they were seen taunting/teasing it only last night.

I do though feel sorry for the other birds though, they get absolutely no peace  from the magpies. i have regularly seen recently one of the magpies even harrasing  the poor old pigeons, who wer only minding their own business and doing no harm. The local blackbirds seem to have been driven off (or killed), as i havent seen or heard one for ages

SIGH!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 19:21:19 »
Richard the bl***y magpies stole the tiniest chicks from my neighbours garden two years running  :o   they are very intimidating birds but so nice to look at with their striking black &white
plummage, but the beasties of the garden birds. Rosebud

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 17:06:11 »
I agree they are comical to watch and the young are SO noisey!The council even named my road after them  :o
 Dislike what they do to other birds though so I'm keeping an eye on the housemartins nesting. Last year the magpies launched an assault on a neighbours nest but were chased off by all the others. The aerobatics were amazing to watch.  :)
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal