Author Topic: One of my chooks has died!  (Read 1857 times)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
One of my chooks has died!
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:50:51 »
OH got up this morning and found one of my new chickens dead. We only had two, so the other one is looking very sorry for herself. We got them about 5 weeks ago, and they've been fine, but very nervous around us, I've tried just sitting quietly in their run, but they never came anywhere near either of us.  :'(   Now it's just the one on her own, I think I'll try to get to be friends with her.
We would like to get a couple of younger hens at some point in the next few weeks, to keep Buffy company - ideally Orpingtons, but if not, and pure breeds, Does anyone have any young hens which might be ready in the next 3/4 weeks time?
Or does anyone know a reputable breeder in the east Anglia area?

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: One of my chooks has died!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:55:09 »
Sorry about your chook, Kathi - never a nice thing to get up to. Any idea how old they are or why she died?  Had she been ill?  I got my recent additions from a place just outside Norwich which I can let you have details of if you would like.  I have also bought from Poultry in Motion [!] just outside Thetford. 

Hope Buffy is ok.  :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:18:58 »
Oh I am sorry its so sad, some just die for different reasons do get a couple more for company for her. Hens are best in groups of 3 or 5 they do better in a flock.
Try hand feeding titbits, start with stroking their toes it sounds strange and work your way up the body for some reason this does not frighten them.
Also the Woodhouse way was to blow ( exhale)on their face, just gently it gets them interested.
different breeds are harder than others but all will trust you in the end. I helps when you have to wash dirty bums or give medication if their use to being handled.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:22:54 »
Oh no Kathi! So sorry to hear that - its awful isnt it - its only happened to me once and it was really sad.

Where was she when you found her and in what position? Just trying to establish how/why she died.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:27:37 »
Thanks both, It was pretty nasty to get up to a dead chook. She didn't seem ill at all, just the same yesterday as every other day.
We wanted 3 originally, but they were too expensive - so ended up with just the two, and now just the one! Now wish we had had more.
She wasn't old, only a few months, not at POL yet, I believe they were sisters, had always been together, so Buffy is very lonely now, she'll just have to put up with me as company - well if it evr stops raining!

I'll look at poultry in motion, and get back to you if I need more help

Kathi

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:29:52 »
OO - Oh says she was laying on her side, half way up the ramp to the henhouse - they never went in unless we put them in, so not sure what she was doing up ramp?!?

No obvious marks etc. according to Jon, but I didn't see her at all

Kathi

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 13:41:59 »
could have been heart attack? 

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 14:37:48 »
OO - sounds quite likely to me - just strange

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 14:51:16 »
Kathi - Sorry to hear that, poor you - not a nice thing to wake up to.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal