Author Topic: oxygenators - how much?  (Read 2975 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
oxygenators - how much?
« on: June 17, 2004, 10:03:36 »
How many bunches of oxygenators will I need for a roughly oval pond measuring 8ft x 5ft?

Do I need to plant the bunches or just throw them in?

This weekend is two weeks since we filled the pond so it should be safe to start planting up. And there is already lots of algae growing and the water is turning a slight shade of green.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:oxygenators - how much?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 12:52:34 »
Good question Aqui.  Our pond is all planted and we have 3 biggish bunches of oxygenators weighed down with stones.  Our pond is also a charming shade of green now, and we did have a couple of casualties early on  :'(, but the balance seems to have settled down now.  Is it possible to have too many oxygenators and weed?

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re:oxygenators - how much?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 15:59:41 »
Hello girls.

The best medium for a nature pond is just good ordinary garden soil,dropped in after filling up.When things clear you can then plant direct into the soil,but it takes a while for them to take root,and the mud hold them in place.Some oxygenators you can just drop in and they will find their own way to the bottom and root.The hornwort does not root but don't put in much as it grows like mad.Others you can thin out as needed.The more you have,the less probs you will get with blanket weed and green water.In 12 years of nature ponds I have NEVER had either.Wish I could say the same of my fish ponds.Newts like a heavily planted pond,and as they and frogs spend more time out of water than in,it is not that important to leave too much free swimming space.

Yes I too find it fascinating how creatures just appear overnight,especially the ones that can't fly!!The beetles that appear are generally fine,but the biggie,the great diving beetle can be very ferocious,so watch him!!
Margaret

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal