Produce > Edible Plants

jersey royal potatoes

<< < (2/7) > >>

flowerofshona:
Hi yes we grow 'jerseys' we grow them in black bags with a few holes in 3-4 seed potatoes in each and fill the bag up as they grow (same as earthing up) just cut the bag and hey presto easy potatoes  ;)

gavin:
Haven't a clue where I read this now - but they suggested the flavour of "real" Jersey Royals was down to the exclusive use of seaweed as manure on the island?

All best, Gavin

philcooper:
I'm with Gavin on the story that the good flavour originally came from the heavy use of seaweed on Jersey's light soil.

The point is made elsewhere that to get good flavour (and yield) you need good soil, so plenty of muck, or compost in its absence. Lawrence Hills, the guy who invented the HDRA, swore by comfrey leaves chopped up in the base of the trench - but I find it difficult to get leaves early enough.

They are sold as Jersey Royals only when grown in Jersey otherwise they are International Kidney. The variety was raise in England by Robert Fenn around 1879 (the parentage is not known)

Phil

tim:
- 'seaweed' for International Kidneys, OK - but 'vraic', please, for Jersey Royals!!  = Tim

Debs:
Wow  :o what a lot of informed gardeners there are out there!!!

Re the seaweed.

How is this used? Could I collect some from my local beach?  
If so , what do I do with it?

*Ive got the last bag of international kidney from my local Homebase YIPPEE !! (£3.99 for 2½ kg bag)
Is this reasonably priced or not??
Await further knowledgeable hints & tips !! ;D

Debs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version