Author Topic: Supports for Roses  (Read 2431 times)

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
Supports for Roses
« on: July 17, 2007, 14:54:27 »
Does anyone on here know where I can get a support for a standard rose,
either a umbrella type or a round one, both are on a stake which is put in next to the stem of the rose and sit over the top of the pruned rose so the new shoots and stems grow through it,
I have found one on Peter Beals site for £220, but can't go to that price.

Thanks for any help I might get.
Ann

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: Supports for Roses
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 14:58:04 »
I have something similar I use for my lillies. It has 3 supports and then is gridded so it supports the tall stems. Would something like that do? I got it from Homebase or garden centre.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 15:53:13 »
That is the sort of thing but my standard is 3 ft high and quite big.

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 19:57:37 »
As a follow on to this post I would like to show you what I have done, it is 2 wallhanging basket fixed to a centre post, I am hoping it will work,

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 20:30:21 »
That is a very good use for hanging baskets. Better than using them for what they are meant for. They should be banned.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:25:59 »
It depends on how decorative you are. Or even how much you want to fiddle about making things. But I am sure I could make better use of £200!

You could bend some wire netting over the top of something, say the base of a large empty tub or a hanging basket. To get the shape for your top.

Craft and Hobby shops do have lots of bits that are bendy and even if you do not buy from them it might give you some creative ideas.

A craft book from the library, make sure it has plenty of pictures though! Might help with your design.

You may be amazed at what you can create with a bit of fuse wire a and a few staples

Is it possible to use the frame of an old umbrella and weave through the spokes with raffia or some such material to get the effect you want?

Even if it looks a bit botched on completion, painting the lot the same colour will improve the appearance.

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:44:38 »
Thanks for your in-put PurpleHeather, but you sound as if you do not like my idea, price and time wise it could be cheaper and was quicker than some other ways of doing this, and I also think it looks neat and tidy,

don't think umbrella frame would work, not strong enough, and bending wire is not a easy task.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:56:56 »
As a follow on to this post I would like to show you what I have done, it is 2 wallhanging basket fixed to a centre post, I am hoping it will work,

Hello

I have done this to a couple standards in my garden once filled out and bloom they look great.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 18:49:28 »
Thanks Brogusblue, that is what I am hoping for.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal