Author Topic: Buying Garlic and Shallots  (Read 5526 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Buying Garlic and Shallots
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 21:46:48 »
I'm going to add my two penn'orth, just to confuse things.  I buy the majority of my stuff from Tamar Organics, and I've never had any complaints with either the quality of stock or the service I get.  Slightly batty, but lovely people.
http://www.tamarorganics.co.uk/

Shallots - Not sure how many you get as there is no quantitys.
Garlic - 125g for pink garlic £2.70 white garlic £2.55  Not sure how many bulbs you get for 125g though

They do i see have the organic slug pellets which is good to know and a wonderful variaty of green manures.

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 21:59:23 »
That's right, they sell by weight, not quantity, though I normally find that 250g is enough for me, that gives 4 or 5 cloves.  I bought a kilo of onion sets once, and shared them with most of the other plotholders.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 22:20:00 »
ah

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 23:17:49 »
Just wondered if anyone has seen any garlic in any of the garden centers??

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 00:19:50 »
I bought two bulbs of garlic at Tatton Park and two at Southport Flower Show. I am going to plant them separately in October and watch their progress. But dum dum me forgot to write down the name of the garlic, I assumed it was on the info sheet but it wasn't, I think one variety was Solent Wight...but as long as they grow...!

I planted loads of garlic at that time last year and I have only had a couple of teensy little bulbs with small cloves on each so very disappointing this year. I am hoping it was just the exceptionally wet weather and that I get huge crops next year cause I love garlic...
Lin

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 01:22:18 »
Give it time Cam - Wilko's should have theirs in quite soon!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 09:13:11 »
just to comment on what tim said about buying locally to save problems; I think that when you buy over the net it doesn't make much difference where the company is! I have found French suppliers to be very good on the whole, and I will check out that link to Baumaux as this is the last year i try to plant garlic in spring. I am going to have to pull and chuck out all my garlic, none of the bulbs developed properly :(  does anyone know why that might be? I bought it from a garden centre...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 09:32:25 »
Cam I saw some garlic in Focus DIY yesterday.  :)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 19:05:53 »
Just ordering mine from the garlic farm on the sunny south island.  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 19:25:03 »
thanks guys :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 10:08:23 »
.......... I will check out that link to Baumaux as this is the last year i try to plant garlic in spring. I am going to have to pull and chuck out all my garlic, none of the bulbs developed properly :(  does anyone know why that might be? I bought it from a garden centre...

I don't think garlic should be planted in the spring - isn't from Autumn to Christmas the usual planting period? It needs cold snaps to develop properly.

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 10:57:30 »
A bit like onions, there are two types of garlic.  One sort needs planting by Christmas, the other can go out by Februaury.  I find the overwintering one stores better.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 11:24:29 »
Thanks for the info Silverbirch :). Only grown it for one year so all advice welcome.

With Spring planting, I would be concerned that if we didn't get a cold patch the garlic wouldn't divide into cloves. Should you leave it in a cold fridge for a few days before planting or am I worrying unnecessarily?

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 19:18:38 »
I do not know of any evidence that garlic needs frost to divide. I have always assumed that provided it is given enough time undisturbed, to grow to complete it's growth cycle, it will divide.
After all, it is grown in many parts of the Mediterranean where it is unlikely to get any frost.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 22:26:29 »
I think they do get cold winters in southern europe. But I don't actually know whether or not that's what helps division. I just always believed the received wisdom

powerspade

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 22:41:47 »
I but most of my shallots and Onions also seed potatoes in my local shop in Pontlottyn
great service and quallity sets etc. I find it cheaper to buy local also they let my know when stock is in.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 23:10:17 »
I think all varieties of garlic need a 'cold' spell for a certain length of time but that the 'coldness' required varies - thus why different garlics are suitable for different climates and for different sowing times.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 23:15:31 »
I rate Marshalls - and if you're in Cambourne they're quite local...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2007, 23:23:52 »
I picked this from the Garlic Farm website:

Grow it yourself in the UK
We have been growing garlic in the Arreton Valley on the Isle of Wight for over 25 years. Garlic grows well over most of the UK provided it is grown in a free draining soil that is not too acid and kept well watered and weed free. Any amateur gardener can grow good garlic.

Provided it has adequate water in a fertile soil it will grow anywhere in the UK . If there is any secret to growing good garlic it is in how it is handled at harvest and dried. This should present no problem to the amateur gardener who buys 5-10 bulbs and grows 50 to a 100 bulbs.

The UK climate presents the commercial grower with more of a challenge. Bright sparkling white bulbs are the product of Mediterranean sunshine. In our English climate we have to make maximum use of the sun when it is there and protect the garlic from the prolonged wet spells that are our lot.

Garlic requires a long rotation of more than six years to prevent the build up of diseases such as white rot, and nematode pests such as eelworm. The land is ploughed, cultivated and fertilised according to the needs of the crop and the chosen fields for the year.

Isle of Wight Garlic is planted from October to February and the first garlic shoots mark the rows from January onwards. Garlic requires a spell of cold weather, generally 1-2 weeks at 0-4C, to prepare itself physiologically for bulb formation later in the year.
Weed control is largely by mechanical inter row cultivation and some hand hoeing. This is supplemented in the spring with an application of herbicide to suppress particularly difficult weed competition.

During the spring the garlic crop responds to applications of nitrogen and sulphur to encourage healthy leaf growth. There is some evidence that the sulphur also assists in the formation of higher levels of allicin, the sulphur compound which is at the centre of the medicinal properties of garlic and also for the sulphurous combinations which make up garlic's pungent aroma.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal