Author Topic: What's been biting me?  (Read 5413 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: What's been biting me?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 09:28:58 »
Hi all,
          Look in the search section on "flies that bite" for information on repellants
 or look at Avon dry skin relief. Much has been written on this subject.

Adrian.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 09:48:13 »
OMG you lot!! Talk about horror stories!! Well, the mug trick comes highly recommended - it really works.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 21:03:48 »
I once spent a couple of days walking on Rannoch Moor, and one of the main things I remember was the hosreflies zooming in every time I stopped. Fortunately they don't fly at night; I only had a sleeping bag, but I could at least sleep in peace. They weren't as bad as the midges on the Blackmount or the ticks in Knoydart.

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 16:21:26 »
Thanks Robert! Will be in Knoydart next week!  Have bought midge net and waterproof cover for racksack - anything else I need for my holiday

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 07:51:39 »
Decent boots, but I assume you have those already. It's a fantastic area, with roads cut everywhere, obviously at great expense, but an 18th century laird. He was trying to help his people, but his daughter threw them all off the land in order to keep sheep.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 12:29:35 »
Ouch - thanks for the hot mug tip - it does work! Have had to explain to my bemused colleagues why I have been shoving a cup of tea into my armpit at intervals this morning though... :o

Also thanks for indentifying the nasty critters that have been eating me alive the last few days: BLACKFLY ...was beginning to get worried I might run out of blood.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal