5 (25%)
Having the odd ache or pain
6 (30%)
Having serious pains a few times a year
5 (25%)
Being in constant or near constant severe pain
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: How's your back?  (Read 2871 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
How's your back?
« on: July 26, 2007, 14:18:01 »
I have an intermittent back problem myself which has me laid up in bed at the mo, whacked out on diazepam and codeine. I've noticed a few posts mentioning varying degrees of back pain, and am interested to know how many of us suffer from bad backs.

I'm also aware of how lucky I am compared to some, and when I'm laid out in bed am grateful for the fact it's only this bad a few times a year. I'm also very impressed and inspired by those who overcome difficulties... and frankly I could do with a little inspiration at the moment.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Re: How's your back?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 14:24:04 »
Back's fine - knee goes a big to thingy every now and then though.

Think my back is OK 'cos I always benz ze kneez when digging/lifting rather than the back, and when doing anything else i tend to sit on the floor so no leaning over.

My neck goes every now and then but that's mainly due to when I was fitting a safe in the house last year, dropped it and then half caught it at a funny angle - yep, safes are damned heavy!  Spending up to 10 hrs at a time in the saddle of a bike then tends to aggrovate it a bit ::).

Mrs Si swears by Dog Oil for her joints.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 14:29:09 »
I injured my back almost 2 years ago in a RTA, it was muscle damage so nothing too serious.  I don't get pain anymore, but my back does tend to get tired and achy much quicker than pre-accident as the muscles haven't regained their strength.  It's worse if I'm doing a lot of bending forward.  I just put up with it (usually get a little grumpy!)as I know it will get a rest eventually, and I make sure I don't overdo it just in case.  But I'm thankfull that I came out of the accident with so little injury, could have been a lot worse, I'm lucky that all I get is an ache and I'm pretty sure that eventually my back will regain it's strength completely.  In a way, having injured my back has probably done me good as I'm more aware of taking care when lifting things etc so hopefully it will ilmit any further damage.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 15:20:50 »
I have a bad back problem,  it is progressive and won't ever go away so constant pain, very limited with what I can do now, but .....we adjust and get on with life.I am a big believer in" if you don't use it ,you lose it" I would be happier if it didn't involve the strength in my arms though as that is something I can't overcome, as I only have about 25% power  left in them which is a blasted nuisance as I  can't do anything with outstretched arms for more that half a minute or so, and holding my elbows to my body for support is infuriating.

I do tend to push too much though which isn't very bright but my heart just won't accept what my body is telling me, so I go to breaking point most days.

But, my hands and my sight are smashing  and I feel really lucky about that.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 23:33:05 »
I broke my cocyx many moons ago and it took over a year to heal, but since then, no back probs at all.  I am very lucky considering gardening is not only my hobby, but my job.  I don't imagine it will last, but hopefully for now, age is on my side.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 23:36:19 »
The lady from the lottie next to us had a slipped disc a couple of months ago. She's weaning off the morphine now, looks at least 10 years older and has lost an incredible amount of weight (wasn't overweight to start with). She's not on crutches now, but it will be months before she's back with the veg. Her husband is doing it all at the moment, and he doesn't enjoy it one bit.  :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 23:42:06 »
I try and pay considerable attention to good posture and muscle tone, so as to reduce the effects of back strain. I encounter a lot of physical lifting at work, so need to pay attention there, and I have developed very strong leg muscles to help.

Funny thing is, I have just acquired a sore back through 3 weeks of extensive heavy lifting at work (beyond reasonable expectations) due to moving site, and lack of manpower. Taking it easy now as you might expect.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 09:34:20 »
I did my back in moving about nine months before taking on the plot. At that point I was still getting minor problems with it, but the exercise seemed to be just what was needed, and I've never had problems since.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:50:20 »
but the exercise seemed to be just what was needed, and I've never had problems since.

I stopped work for 9 months when I was told I would not work again. I seized up completely. Started back gently due to boredom, now I put in a 10-12 hour day. Ache like mad, but what the hell. 'Use it or lose it'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal