Author Topic: Manners / dilemma  (Read 1561 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Manners / dilemma
« on: July 19, 2007, 17:35:39 »
One of our neighbours gave up her plot - it was fairly well planted up but she found it too much to maintain and some new folk took over  a few weeks ago. They haven't done much yet and I've noticed some of the potatoes near our plot are looking blighted - although it may just be terminal die back.  (Haven't actually seen them on the plot for three weeks but we often only go in the evening so may have missed them.)

My dilemma is that the blighted spuds are near my Pink Firs. Would it be awfully rude of me to clear away their dead and dying haulms and dispose of them?

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Manners / dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 20:09:10 »
Yes! But do it anyway. What the eye does not see, no one will grieve over

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 22:00:42 »
Was on me plot this afternoon, and the chap next to me said.......ohhhhhhhh  look at my tomatoes, they look sickly, blight said I . Then his missus had an argument ish with him saying they should leave them in...........for the fruit. I felt like saying, for heavens sake woman, look at your plants, no leaves .....................aint gonna happen!
Think I would remove ahem a few bits., and hope they don't notice!
My tomatoes have just started blighting and I am removing them as they go.
Only fair.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 00:10:49 »
Discreet pre-emptive strike will be undertaken - they probably won't notice anyway ;)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:41:27 »
similar thing at our site: nearly everyone's potatoes have succumbed to blight but not everyone has done anything about it.
plus, the two overgrown plots that are 6' high with brambles get used as a communal rubbish tip and there's a growing pile of blighted haulms being dumped there.
does this mean that we're absolutely guaranteed to get blight again next year?
how long does it survive?

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 10:03:09 »
Our site has succumbed to tomato blight.  No reports of potato blight yet - fingers crossed.  Our site is run by our Parish Council and they collect the rents so I asked the Clerk to get in touch with all of the tenants advising there is tomato blight on the allotments and that they should be sure to check their crops as soon as possible and take any action necessary.   Seems to have worked. 

twinkletoes

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal