Author Topic: Wood Treatment  (Read 1558 times)

Toni

• Not So New ...
Wood Treatment
« on: July 18, 2007, 16:32:29 »
Hi, it's me again. Pest, I know, sorry.

We are receiving delivery of our new hen house next Wednesday and then hoping to purchase the chickens on Friday. The house has been treated, but I'm presuming that it's only been treated with a wood preserver. Is there anything that you can get that's a red mite deterrent?
I have read about creosote (I'm sure my dad has some knocking about in his sheds somewhere) and also gloss paint for the inside. Should I use these as prevention or when I actually have red mite? If I can't get hold of creosote, is there anything else I can use?
I'm also making a run, so will that have to be treated as well?

Thanks for your patience  :)
Toni

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Wood Treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 19:21:14 »
red mite wont go near original creosote, the type farmers use or should I say sold to farmers. But do soak the shed in it, it will take a few days to dry out but worth doing it before you get the hens. I would say treat all wood with it to be safe.  It has worked well this year for me.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 21:36:31 »
seconding what teresa said.

Just to add - dont gloss anything - it peels and flakes and the hens will eat it!

Toni

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 13:38:51 »
OK.  Thanks ladies.

;)

Toni

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 20:46:36 »
I have painted one of my 2 coups in creosote and when we get a break in the rain I will be painting my other one too :) The one I have painted has been sat in the garden and every time the rain stops I open all the doors lol At least I know it's water tight lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal