Author Topic: foxglove tree  (Read 2062 times)

ACE

• Hectare
foxglove tree
« on: July 15, 2007, 17:20:39 »
In one of my customers gardens there is a foxglove tree. It does not flower as it is near the sea and the buds go mouldy. But the foliage is really unusual  as the leaves are huge.

This year it has  long rusty mark running up one side and it is suffering. I have heard that these trees can be coppiced so I am wondering if I should cut it down to start again or give the lady more expense by calling in a tree surgeon. If you nick the root a sucker will grow about 4 metres in the summer. So I have started off another half a dozen trees and I will pick the best one to take over, but I am worried that the desease will spread through the root.

Has anybody had any experience with these trees?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: foxglove tree
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 19:56:36 »
Never heard of them Ace any chance of a photo?
 :-\

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:37:18 »
Introduced in the 19th century, Empress Tree.  Protect from gales and keep in the sun.  Frost kills the buds off.  Yes you can coppice it, and I hope that I am not teaching me Grandmother to suck eggs - coppice in the winter when there is little/no chance of frost.
Jack's in the Green.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:06:20 »
You mean Pawlonia tomentosa?.
 They do suffer from Leaf spot which leaves yellow lessions.
We cut ours down in February, right to the base. We then allow three buds to delvelop. Those produce thick stems which grow to 15 feet in the season with leaves like elephants ears. The more stems you leave, the smaller the leaves. It flowers at Powys Castle by the way, though last time we were there it looked very sad. We have never lost any buds to frost, yet and as you know we are definitely in a cold part of England.
Tree and leaf
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 11:12:24 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 19:30:54 »
I expect the original tree which is huge,  60' high is coming to the end of its days. Since it was planted the rest of the area has matured and the tree is in a shady glade which I have since found out it does not like. I will try and get the suckers to grow as far along the spreading roots as possible  over the next few years and get them to grow in the sunshine again.

I have had an offer from a local fiddle maker and he will pay for it to be felled and removed. He will then cut and store the timber for use in a few years, as long as the tree preservation people do not kick up. I expect this will be done this winter when the sap goes down.

PS  Reading you loud and clear Mr. P.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal