Author Topic: seed catalogues  (Read 1544 times)

Shelle

• Not So New ...
  • Cramlington, Northumberland
seed catalogues
« on: September 19, 2007, 20:24:01 »
I have two catalogues delivered this week which is making pretty exciting reading.

As a newbie though having never ordered through any of them before, I wanted to ask should I order from them, or hang fire and buy from local garden centres nearer the time??

I would like to buy some potatoes from T and M, plus possibly other seeds, but wondered if I am better off waiting til nearer the time? Does anyone know if there are usually potato days in the north east (Tyneside or Northumberland) that would be better?

Also what about their reputation (T and M)?

Any advice before I take a plunge that I may regret?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: seed catalogues
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 20:28:04 »
I started off buying spuds from T&M and the return was ok.

You might want to wait though and go to a potato day where you might be able to get more variaty.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 20:28:32 »
Shelle,  I have'nt ordered anything from T&M but I have ordered lots from Suttons (www.suttons.co.uk) and Harrod Horticultural (www.harrodhorticultural.com) without any problems.

I used to get seed and plant catalogues addressed to the previous owner of our house long before I realised I was interested in gardening and just chucked them in the recycling!!   :o  Now I know better!

A lot of folks on this forum use T&M and they are really well established so I don't think you should have a problem.  Re potato days; sorry can't help you there - I just do everything online!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 20:54:34 »
T+M are a tad expensive IMHO... and too fulsome in their praise for my stomach!
We do use them for some things that other cats. don't carry!
 :-X

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:44:08 »
Agree with saddad 100%

For seeds I prefer to order from catalogues / online - more choice and better planning.

For potatoes the cost of postage makes a lot of difference and so I use the allotment association trading hut plus potato days (which are GREAT).

Plus browsing through seed catalogues keeps me sane during the winter months  :)
Best laid plans and all that

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:35:27 »
Hi
If you are ordering normal types of fruit and veg and flowers then just check wilkinsons, woolworths and poundstretcher first. They often supply the same varieties for half the price of the "proper" seed companies. Also try ebay and have a look on our swap section maybe you have spares of things other people would be willing to swap for things you want.
happy hunting
x sunloving

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 13:37:58 »
This link points to national potato days. I've always done OK and it's more fun than ordering online  ;D
http://thewhitchurchweb.org/potatoday/potatodays.htm

Last year I ordered some direct from Alan Romans, considered by many as the potato guru. He certainly doesn't lack enthusiasm.

http://www.alanromans.com/

Very satisfactory service and excellent quality.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Shelle

• Not So New ...
  • Cramlington, Northumberland
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 18:11:47 »
Thanks to you all, as usual you are all so helpful!

Am going to hang fire until nearer the time!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal