Author Topic: Bean sprouts (mung beans)  (Read 1567 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Bean sprouts (mung beans)
« on: September 18, 2007, 17:26:40 »
Has anyone else tried doing these?

Mine have grown roots too do you think its because I put too many in the box so they were on each other? ???

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Bean sprouts (mung beans)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 17:47:42 »
 its fine for them to be on top of each other. they will send out shoots and roots thats fine. rinse them every day and eat them in about three or four days. very good for you and delicious. try sprouting other things to like alfalfa or chick peas.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 22:49:56 »
I tried these in a jar with water in. I followed the instructions on the packet but they didn't work! Is it more reliable to use a proper sprouter?

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:13:41 »
you dont need any special equipment; i just use a large glass jar and a peice of muslin. cover the beans (seeds i mean) with water and leave to soak for about twenty four hours. drain water and rinse and drain again. rinse and drain daily and they should sprout in a couple of days.

cant thinkwhy your didnt work sparkly unless they were very old? try again. ;)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 13:38:39 »
Sparkly - did you submerge them? I've done that & they just go foul. The muslim method (although we use an old tight & elastic band) described by sister sarah ensures they are damp but not submerged.

Rosyred, the shoots grow into roots if you leave them. But they're still yummy.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 18:58:35 »
So you are meant to put them in a damp muslim? I put them submerged in the water! doh!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 19:19:39 »
Me too, first time! They do honk a bit, don't they!

To clarify my method: We soak for 24 hours, pour off water, place in a large mayo jar, cover with an old bit of tights, secured with a laccy band. Then daily, pour water in through the bit of tights, fill jar, pour out as much liquid as you can.

They're ready in a few days.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 19:39:55 »
Most seed companies have a good selection of seeds for sprouting.  I usually get mine from Moles Seeds.

I think alfalfa is my favourite, but have also grown onion, red cabbage, radish daikon, mustard white,  as well as mung beans.  The only one I didn't like was beetroot.  The seeds didn't soften, nor did they separate from the seedlings very well, so it was a bit like chewing grit.  With the benefit of hindsight, I think it would probably be better to grow them on kitchen paper, and snip the seedlings like cress.

T&M have a large selection of sprouting seeds, and the also have a two tiered sprouter, similar to the one I use.

T&M are very expensive compared with Moles, ie alfalfa - T&M 40 gm £1.99 - Moles 250gm £3.75.  Mustard white - T&M 40 gms £1.99 - Moles 250 gms £1.90.  Red Cabbage T&M 25 gms £1.99 - Moles 250gms £5.85, the equivalent bag of red cabbage from T&M would be £19.90.  Admittedly the Moles quantities are probably larger that most people would want, but you could afford to be a bit wasteful.  Also you could use them as swaps!!

I like the sprouting seeds, particularly in winter.  They are a source of fresh salads when the stuff in the shops is tasteless, and has travelled a lot of miles.

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 19:45:15 »
So you are meant to put them in a damp muslim? 

I think that one fell on stony ground Sparkly ;D

valmarg

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 20:10:38 »
You'll get longer bean shoots from mung beans if you keep the jar in which you are growing them in a dark place between twice daily rinsings.  If you have an airing cupboard that's ideal because its also warm.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 12:25:20 »
So you are meant to put them in a damp muslim? 

I think that one fell on stony ground Sparkly ;D

valmarg

Missed that Sparkly! It's a personal thing, I guess. We generally use muslims for cleaning & mopping up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal