Author Topic: spikey's nails  (Read 1726 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
spikey's nails
« on: July 11, 2007, 19:48:24 »
we're babysitting my daughter's dog for a week, he has quite long nails and I'd like to give them a trim, how do I know how much to take off, ?  ???

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: spikey's nails
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 23:27:54 »
Marilyn , you will see a vein running across the claw, make sure not to clip beyond this, if they are very long maybe a good idea would be to take some off now and some bit later. Charlie always did our dogs with the special nail clippers but I haven.t got a steady enough hand.
Maybe more experienced dog owners will advise you  more fully.
Lorna

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:45:19 »
My sister is a vetinary nurse. She said if you accidentally cut too far and the nail bleeds, push a bar of soap across it and the plug of soap will stop the bleeding. So far, I havent neded to do that, but I always worry, as one of my dogs dew claws are black, so I cant see where the 'quick' starts.

cj :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:39:16 »
yes, spike's are black and he's none too keen, so far, we've done 2 on each front paw, funny, really, I have to hold on to his collar, sat on the floor with his head by me while ray does the business, we're just trimming them so won't go near the 'quick'
thanks, guys, we'll do another couple today  ;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 12:59:06 »
Gypsy just had teeth out a few days ago. I did hers while she was still dopey from the anaesthetic! It was really easy, instead of the usual sumo wrestling match  ;D

cj :)

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 13:16:21 »
Take a bit off and then several walks a day on tarmac should get you down to a comfortable length.  Keep checking the dogs pads for splits if they are not used to road walking.

Jack
Jack's in the Green.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal