Author Topic: blackberry recipes wanted  (Read 3974 times)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
blackberry recipes wanted
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:25:52 »
My parents went off to look at our allotment yesterday. They came back after picking 14lb of blackberries from the hedge. they must think we've still got rationing.

Any creative ideas for using them up? We're down by the head with bramble seedless and blackberry and apple jam, and I don't want to make wine

Cheers

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: blackberry recipes wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 13:31:34 »
I freeze my spares, they get chucked  frozen into muffins or mixed with apple for pies, I even make them into a topping for cheesecake XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 15:11:11 »
How about blackberry cordial? Havent done it myself but have seen recipes on the internet. I am thinking the same - everytime I go to the allotment i pick more but my freezer is about full so need some other ideas! I have suggested getting another freezer to my other half........

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 21:21:37 »
Blackberry and Apple Crumble - my absolute favourite.
Blackberry and Apple Jelly, add a touch of stick cinnamon.

Not forgetting Blackberry Gin.  Just like Sloe Gin, but you only need 12oz of sugar to 1lb of fruit and a bottle (75cl) of gin.  A much richer flavour than sloe, and it keeps the fresh berry taste.

Blackberries are what winter was designed for - I love 'em!!

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:30:29 »
So far I have made:

blackberry jam
rhubarb and blackberry crumble
apple and blackberry cumble
apple and blackberry pie
blackberry smoothie
blackberries with yoghurt / ice cream
Blackberry flan with a custardy base
Found a recipe for blackberry muffins but not tried those yet.

We have lots from around the allotment too.  I think I have about 6 boxes currently frozen!

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:10:11 »
I saw a raspberry frangipan tart at the weekend, I'm sure you could do something similar with blackberries.  Might give it a go myself.  So far I have only made some blackberry coulis to go with some pannacotta.

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 12:23:43 »
apple and blackberry meringue, done this few yr back was really lovely, i put the apple and blackberry mixture in bottom of ramekins topped with the above meringue, then sprinkled with either brown sugar or nutmeg can't quite remember what now i will dig recipe out if you want.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 12:41:05 »
crumble (of course)
muffins yes
meringue sounds nice
coulis yes too sounds nice

I wonder if you could do blackberry Vodka instead of gin?

HappyMouffetard

• Not So New ...
    • The Inelegant Gardener
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 15:20:45 »
On Friday I made blackberry crumble cake - it was delicious.
Recipe here: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516128

However, the recipe has several mistakes - the cooking temp is wrong (should be 180 deg C) and the amount of butter to flour in the crumble bit is cmpletely wrong, so you'll have to look up a standard crumble topping recipe and use that instead.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 20:04:25 »
Hi Rhubarb Thrasher - I have made some blackberry vodka (and raspberry) following a thread on recipes earlier - fill a wide neck jar with half to two thirds fruit and fill jar with vodka. shake every few days or so. I think they said it takes 3-4 months so I am planning on everyone having it for Christmas  presents unless i drink it first. The thread said you can add sugar syrup too when ready but I havent got that far yet!

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 21:58:51 »
So far this season I have made blackberry and apple pie, blackberry muffins, blackberry ice cream, blackberry and elderberry coulis, blackberry muffins and my FAVOURITE blackberry recipe: blackberry cobbler. Recipe here: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/719/Recipe.cfm
Off to pick more tomorrow, as I still have jam to make and need more still to use later.  Last year I froze 3 kilos and I'd finished it all before Christmas  ::).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal