Author Topic: Bulb catalogues arriving already!  (Read 3126 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Bulb catalogues arriving already!
« on: July 11, 2007, 21:18:59 »
Two on the mat when I came home this evening.   Apologies if this has been asked before but which companies would you recommend for spring/summer flowering bulbs?  I've tried quite a few and their stuff has had varying degrees of success so I wouldn't rate any of them as excellent or dire.  I'm rather put off by all the so called 'free' and 'special' offers as I'm a firm believer in the old adage 'you get what you pay for'.  I'm interested in Iris, Freesias, Tulips, Narcissi, Alliums and Lilies.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Bulb catalogues arriving already!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 20:59:49 »
So no-one else grows flowers from bulbs then?   ???

g x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 21:34:31 »
Hi G
I haven't ordered from these people but I get a catalogue and enjoy looking at it...
http://www.heritagebulbs.com/

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 21:38:17 »
Avoid Parkers! I usually buy my bulbs in garden centres, so I can see the size and check that they are healthy. I bought some Pink Impression tulips from Wyevale which have performed brilliantly, more flowers every year (unusual for tulips). Jetfire is a lovely miniature daffodil which grows very vigorously. I need to split my Jetfire clumps this year. Not sure when the best time to do this is (they are growing among the daylilies). Maybe early September? I'd be happy to send you some for postage cost. I also have spare Eucomis (grown from seed) which I can dig up in November.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 21:47:27 by dandelion »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 22:07:56 »
I went to a lot of time and trouble replying to you Georgie, pressed the post button, and it has ended up somewhere in the ether.

What it going wrong Dan, this is about the third time it has happened to me recently!!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 00:01:59 »
Funny you should bring this post topside, G.

I was just about to let you know of this little item:

http://www.bulbs.co.uk/1/productDetails.asp?productID=817&deptID=90

Winter Aconite: 50 = £10.00

Not too bad on the postage either - £4.95 P&P
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 07:25:53 »
I haven't actually used this company but they have been recommended several times on here and their catalogue certainly seems comprehensive, I love looking through the lists and dreaming...

http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/

I hope you find what you want. :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 18:46:36 »
Thanks everyone. 

Flossie.  Catalogue on order.   ;D

Dandelion. I agree Parkers are a bit hit and miss.  I'd love some of the daffs for the cost of the postage thanks.   ;D

Valmarg.  What a pain.  I hate it when that happens.   :(

Amazin.  What a memory!  But Eric sent me some aconites so I'm sorted.  :D

Tulippa.  Catalogue on order.   ;D

G x

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 19:34:43 »
I had around £50 of pansies and violas form Garening Direct 2 years ago, I only had 3 flowers!! Very disappointed, they were ordered through my parents and I never got round to complaining, I think I just kept waiting to seeif anymore would come up and they never did!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 22:08:20 »
Georgie, I'll have a go at trying to say what I tried to send in my original message.

As well as J Parkers, I would avoid vanMeuwen.  The bulbs do seem cheap, but they are very small, and poor quality.

We found it best to go to local garden centres where you could 'pick your own' from displays of loose bulbs.

I've never had any success with iris or freesias, so cannot recommend.

Narcissi - there are some beautiful varieties around.  I think the double flowered varieties (Golden Ducat) comes to mind - the flowers are too heavy for the stems so they droop on to the ground, only to feed the slugs

Tulips, you can't have too many!!  They are beautiful, but I would be inclined to plant them in the 'bulb baskets' you can get so that you can lift them after flowering, and store over summer, and plant out again in the autumn.

Alliums, I should be extremely wary of.  Some of them are extremely invasive, if not downright thugs, particularly those little pink and yellow, low growing varieties.

Lillies, as with tulips, you can't have too many of them, just watch out for the red lily beetle!!

I think +/- a smidge, thats what I said in my original posting.

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 18:23:36 »
Thanks Valmarg. 

I didn't like the look of Van Meuwen so their catalogue went straight in the recycling bin!  ;)

I'm already growing all of the other bulbs but I want more!  So I'll take your advice and try my local nursery.   :)

G x

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 19:13:18 »
Georgie, I'll let you know when I dig up the daffodils.

dandelion :)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 20:11:26 »
Will Capel Manor have spring bulbs for sale, G?

Incidentally, I've got mini-daffs you can have.
Lesson for life:

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 20:38:44 »
Thanks dandelion.   ;D

Not sure Amazin' but not long to wait to find out, eh?   ;)  Oooh and thanks for the offer of mini daffs.   :D

G x

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 21:33:24 »
No probs, G, will bring 'em along. Is your PM still up the swannee?
Lesson for life:

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 21:35:53 »
Working a treat now thanks to Dan.   ;D

G x

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 22:02:17 »
I am getting so totally, absolutely and utterly pissed off with this site.  To go on it is like working your way through sludge, it is so slow!!

DAN, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgie, again I can't remember exactly what I said in my offer for tete-a-tete narcissus bulbs, but this is about the fourth posting I have made that has gone 'somewhere into the ether'.

Believe me you would be better going to a site like the grapevine.

I shall not be troubling this site!!!!!!!

valmarg

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 22:55:09 »
To avoid losing messages, try writing them on a different medium, such as an e-mail or instant message then copy and paste them into A4A. That way if there's a glitch, you don't lose them.
Lesson for life:

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 18:19:30 »
I've got plenty of tete-a- tete, thanks Valmarg. 

I like it here.   ;D  I'm sorry that you are having problems but if you send Dan an message explaining what's happening I'm sure he'll do his utmost to help you out.

G x

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 02:12:58 »
I adore some of the species and dwarf miniature daffodils, they are just exquisite. Am not too good with flowers, but one of the species names was Narcissus bulbocodium, and then there are very pretty varieties like Rip van Winkle, Mite, Minnow and others that I can't recall at present. Grew a lily this year called Stargazer, was very impressed at how well it grew.

some links I like to browse are: http://www.miniaturebulbs.co.uk/index.html
and http://www.edromnurseries.co.uk/prodtype.asp?col=n&prodtype=52 and http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/misc/narorder.htm

Although I look at these sites to get ideas, have only really bought from garden centres.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal