Author Topic: I have been vandalised!  (Read 7223 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:I have been vandalised!
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 13:12:53 »
BB - watch out I'm a bit of an amateur psychologist - this is one of my pet topics.

I think the reason why so many kids now resort to vandalism, drugs, etc is because they have so much. Modern childhood toys and games all totally discourage the use of the imagination. And the kids have so many toys they never have to think for themselves what to do next.

So as they start to become adults and toys are put away, they have no idea how to entertain themselves. This boredom leads to frustration which naturally leads to violence. Vandalism and graffitti also mean the kids can make their mark and have some influence on the world (which is another thing they feel is lacking).

The answer? give them allotments of their own. Teach them how to plan, be creative, nuture, take care of another living thing etc!
gone to pot :D

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 13:14:03 »
Why do we keep trying to be nice to these kids. When I found out that one of my daughter's so-called friends was responsible for three acts of vandalism on my car (he wanted the stereo system and tapes for his own car) I went round his at night and super glued the locks on his car. Might not be the behaviour you expect from a responsible adult, but I felt better and he found out what it was like to be at the receiving end.
Granny is still your best friend !

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 13:34:39 »
Yes Aqui and it's one of my pet topics as well.Good old fashioned discipline and respect should be taught in the home.
As well as the schools then the kids would learn to respect themselves as well as others.
There's nothing stopping them having a Garden Plot or learning how to Paint and Paper a house is there?Buy them a pet Rabbit if you want them to learn how to look after something. Get them to make a hutch instead of going out to buy one.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 13:34:53 »
i love the manure idea! that's great!

and well done you granny smith.

apparently we aren't supposed to call them yobs because that encourages them to be yobs but what words are you supposed to use for kids that vandalise lotties and kill swans and all the other shocking things they've been up to round here lately?

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 14:06:33 »
I'm glad you've managed to clear away the damage BL, I am not looking forward to the first time this happens to me  :(

I once heard a proverb that helps me a lot when things go wrong - when you get something new, remember that it's already broken - ie. enjoy it while you have it because you never know when it will go, as it inevitably will.

But unlike a precious vase being broken or a prized possession being pinched, at least with the lottie you can start again and soon it will all look as productive as ever!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 14:07:54 »
Know the feeling when I got to my allotment this morning I did sit and cry. Despite having security gates on the allotment vandals got in last night. They have pulled up and destroyed every seedling I had in and worse still they set fire to my caravan. All that is left now is a frame. My mum and husband who are both disabled help on my allotment. The caravan was used for them to sit and rest when they'd done enough. I also used it for the kids to make drinks in ect. I am now moving to a different site as I just haven't got the heart to do anything with this allotment anymore

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 14:21:15 »
oh no, that's so awful, i just can't understand why people find enjoyment in destroyinng stuff that other people care about.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 14:46:54 »
This sort of thing makes my blood boil.
Useless morons destroying the fruits of peoples honest labour in seconds for no purpose whatsoever.

its a shame security cameras nees electricity, then again its a shame we have to contemplate it just to protect cabbages.

I can see why people would want to give up, it will always be in the back of your mind that it will happen again.

Agreed re the bored kids bit. If its not interactive, they turn off....making us all into morons...the powers that be
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 19:16:16 »
Miss B that is horrible.  No words left to say how I feel about it all.

When we talk of the kids we sometimes blame the parents but then my generation probably brought up these parents!  There just isn't a respect for other people in society nowadays let alone their property - everything seems to be disposable - possessions... relationships....

Oh dear, I'm not normally a moaning old biddie but all this wanton vandalism is really choking.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 21:13:48 »
Just a thought, Busy-Lizzie - if that ground next to your site is being used by kids taking drugs, you might want to take particular care that there are no needles and the like lying around?

We had 3 or 4 on the old site.  I'd never have dreamt about it until my son found the first - thank God he was more clued up than me, and didn't touch it.

All best - Gavin

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2004, 21:20:23 »
Miss Baritone - I'm desperately sorry to hear your plot has been hit too.  Not much else I can say!

All very best wishes - Gavin

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2004, 21:55:05 »
Miss B and BL - horrified - and so sorry for you both.  
BL - The school has a health and safety issue it needs to deal with rapidly that may need pointing out to them - one of those "children" gets hurt (aahh, poor wee things!) and the school would soon know about it.  

Do either of you have a new councillor post-election who may want to get stuck in and give some support - after all healthy eating and exercise are  very trendy subjects at the moment - or an old one grateful to have kept his/her seat?

Take photos if you can bear it before you start repairs, and talk to your local newspaper - BL - get the school named in the paper if at all possible - and piccies of the dangerous area.  Amazing what a bit of negative publicity will do!

BL Is your local bobby Kevin Dakin - if so he is an absolute star - and you can tell him I said so!!

Whatever both of you do - do not let the buggers win - move if you have to, but please keep on growing.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2004, 00:13:06 »
Oh no MissBaritone, I couldn't believe it!  >:( I don't know what to say!  It sickens me, and as a mum, bothers me what kids get up to!  I detest vanadlism in all of its aspects, from littering to damaging and destroying other peoples property and we are bringing up our kids to have repsect, for themselves, and others.  Good luck finding another plot, don't let them win, don't let them stop you doing what you enjoy!

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2004, 10:22:47 »
Thanks everyone.We are starting to get over the shock now. Although I have had to reassure my 3 year old neighbour that the police have put the bad boys in jail. I have now found another plot. Not far from my old one but it has a decent size fence and gate. It is a little more secluded than my old plot but as vandals would have to trek through a lot of old derlict allotments I'm hoping there won't be as much trouble. Speaking to my new neighbours they've said that they do get the odd vandal there but they've never had any trouble with arson unlike my previous plot. The only thing is now I've got all the clearing and digging to start again. Any volunteers?

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 11:31:54 »
if you're in whitley bay i'll volunteer to help but i have a feeling you're not!!!

good news on the new plot though, hope you have better luck there.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2004, 09:59:23 »
I have only just read this thread and would like to say that my heart goes out to both BL & Miss B.  I have had the vandals in my garden, pulling up plants just for the sake of it and have been absolutely gutted, so cannot imagine the sadness and anger you both must have felt from your recent experiences.

There is nothing more for me to say that hasn't already been said by all the others, except that I do hope you can somehow manage to put these horrendous experiences behind you both and start again.  

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2004, 12:30:48 »
Comisserations to you both, and 'nihil illigitimae carborundum' (you can tell I didn't do latin at school, but it might fool the censor).

I found out that the strawberry thieves have been on our allotment (fortunately not my plot -as I have my strawbs up at the house) -gutting for those who were growing them. The organisers wife found out when she went down to pick a couple of bowl fulls she'd been promised, berries were gone and the plants trampled.

Jeremy

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2004, 15:10:40 »
Thanks so much for all of the extra comments, haven't been on the board for a few days.  Horrified to hear about your news Miss Baritone.  That is a shocking and despicable thing to happen to you.  Some people have no shame! Sending lots of love and empathy to you.

Thanks so much for your offer Tim, fortunately I have managed to get some more cabbages.

Have sent lots of letters out in the last few days.  One to the Head Teacher at W/B High School and the Chairman of the School Governors.  Have also re-written to my local MP., and this morning spoke to the local Councillor.  Can't believe after all that, something won't be done.  The next step is the local paper, the Whitley Bay Guardian - feel in a real campaigning mood! Our local Community Officer is Frank Atkin, but he is on annual leave at the moment - he is a lovely man too.

Gavin we do a litter sweep in the Lottie Site and the surrounding area every so often and it is very good advice to be careful.  We always wear thick gloves and use a rake.  amazing  how much stuff you collect.  If only you could get money off bottles like in the past we could make a fair bit.
Probably won't be long before we read another thread like this one, but Thank you all once again  :-*  it has been very comforting for me to feel everyone's support and sympathy. :) busy_lizzie

live your days not count your years

Lavender

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2004, 17:48:37 »
That is just rotten for both of you.  Mindless moronic acts that make no sense to anyone, not even the ones who did it I've no doubt.  Sympathies to you both and those who help on your lotties.  If either of you are near me, you're welcome to anything I have not planted out yet.  Please PM me if I can help.
Love n hugs
Lavender Newbie
There'll be years for cooking and cleaning - get yer wellies on!

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2004, 11:49:17 »
if you're in whitley bay i'll volunteer to help but i have a feeling you're not!!!

good news on the new plot though, hope you have better luck there.

Thanks legless. Afraid I'm not in WhitleyBay I'm in Hartlepool just a bit further south. Also thanks for your offer of plants Lavender.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal