Author Topic: I have been vandalised!  (Read 7318 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
I have been vandalised!
« on: June 12, 2004, 22:08:45 »
Just got back from our Plot - had gone up to water, and  horror of horrors we had been vandalised.  Isn't it the most horrible feeling!  It was just so mindless - they pulled up my cabbages, ripped up my fleece polytunnel to my carrot bed and stomped all over it, you can see the footprints.  They tipped a whellbarrow load of top soil onto my spinach seedlings, burying then, and at the top where my salad bed is they ripped up my lettuces and tore them up and scattered them all over the place.  I could have cried (being a girly).  :'(  

Went up the other aisles where some other lottie holders were and they too had had damage done and tools scattered.  One man found a fork and rake in the middle of his flattened onion bed.  Seems to have happend sometime last night.  Have rung the Community Policeman, whose is on annual leave but left a message, and our Chairman, but I know there is only limited things that can be done. I know we have all been there but it is all so sickening. The chairman reckons it is youngsters who get drunk or drugged and just go on the rampage. Didn't have the heart to do any clearing up tonight, will have to make a fresh start tomorrow and I suppose it could have been worse.   :( busy_lizzie  
live your days not count your years

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:I have been vandalised!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 22:15:40 »
Oh no BL, I WOULD Have cried! Sorry to hear all your hard work has been destroyed, I just hope the peeps that do this kind of thing have a plot themselves one day and have it done to them! >:(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 22:18:31 »
If there was anything one could say, we would say it. Empathy is all we have to offer.
Gardening is the great leveller.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 23:06:31 »
@#*&^%~£$£!!!!!!!
Wish I could get my hands on the little s.ds!!! >:(

Wonder how they would feel if one of us came along and damaged something near to their hearts.  :(

I'm sooooo sorry BL to hear about your lottie. Like DP I would have cried but probably in sheer anger!!!!!

I hope when you go back tomorrow there's something you can salvage.

Lots of love, Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 23:33:11 »
Hi Busy-Lizzie - I know just how gutted you feel.  Not much else I can say, really - except "don't let the *fatherless children* win!".

I'm guessing - there's quite a lot untouched?  And some of the damage salvageable?  I surely hope so.

And I hope this is a one-off.  Do you know how they got in?  Is there anything you can do to prevent a reoccurence?

All very best wishes, and get up there tomorrow!  - Gavin

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 23:35:03 »
BL you must be devistated  :'( What a mindless act, I bet those kids haven't done a days hard work in their life so don't appreciate your loss.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 00:06:17 »
So its happened again - seems to be neverending.  I'm so sorry (but more angry) to hear what has happened, I always think how ashamed I'd be if I was the mother of one of them - what makes them do such things, can't be just peer pressure.  Sounds selfish but the more I read of such things the more I keep my figners crossed it won't happen on our site.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 01:03:49 »
Poor Bizzy lizzy, I am so sorry that the hard work, blood, sweat and tears that must have gone into your allotment has been ruined.  I just dont know how people can pick themselves up and start again.  You must be devestated.  I cant imagine how you can keep your hands from there throats.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 12:55:16 »
Just sending you huge hugs bizzy and strength to fight back  >:(  You know how we all feel.  Take care  :D
Muddy Boots

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 13:44:29 »
 Hi BL SO VERY SORRY  about your lottie :(.
What makes the morans do it i would like to know they need a bloody good hiding >:(.
I hope you can salvedge something, cyber hugs to you .
     Rosebud xx.

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 14:03:24 »
Am so sorry to hear your news Lizzy.... must be gut wrenching,, al that hard work..... words fail me they really do as I think about your veg which done nothing to anyone being brutalised like that... thoughts are with you and your plot...

Oz

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 14:45:50 »
oh no! what an awful thing to happen.

if you need a hand sorting out the mess, just say and we'll be over, got 1/2 a tray of mixed salad seedlings you can have if that's any help

keep smiling

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 15:22:43 »
I am so touched by all your messages - Thank you all so much!  :-* I have been up there today and once it was all cleared up doesn't look so bad.  Had an Police officer there this morning who was very nice and seemed genuinely concerned about the vandalism problem.  

The main area for concern near our Site is an old disused Basket Ball Court next to the High School.  Although there is a huge perimeter fence around the School, the Court which also belongs to the school is open and  in a terrible state. It is in a dangerous condition with Metal posts and Wire fencing littered all over the pitch.  There are also many bushes and overgrown weeds and litter surrounding it.  In the evenings and weekends groups of young people gather and lots of underage drinking goes on and drug taking.  They used to ask us for water all the time and I wondered why they wanted it, until a police officer told me it was to use with drugs.

We don't know if a massive binge went on last Friday because of exams being finished now, as the place is covered in bottles and cans. Unfortunately my allotment is the nearest to the fence and gate.  The Police are always moving people on from there,and we have tried various approaches to get the area cleaned up, but the School say they haven't the money and the Local Authority always say it is the Schools Land.  We have written letters to all concerned but nothing ever gets done, it is so maddening.  Writing another letter to the school after this.

Thank you for letting me "let off steam" - I know, as Eric says you can all empathize and know exactly the sort of heartache you go through in a situation like this.  Unfortunately it is a place we have all been to, as I have read on here many times. Thank you so much for your offer Jo - Just really lost my allorosso (sorry about the spelling) lettuces think my others will survive, very much appreciate the thought.  :) busy_lizzie      
live your days not count your years

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 15:52:12 »
Only just seen this - glad, or I would have had bad dreams.

I could send you chard, cabbage & purple sprouting seedlings?? Just gave away all my spare lettuce. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2004, 23:18:33 »
Oh Busy_Lizzie, words fail me!  So sorry for you  :'(.  I worry about the sort of people these kids are going to grow up into....what are they going to do....what are they going to be.....

Be strong, get up there and fight for your plants. Don't let the little sh***s beat you.   Sending you heaps of good wishes from me and Ava.

Emma

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 07:02:34 »
with my fundraising head on, is there anything that the kids could be persuaded to fundraise for to put there? do they have a working basketball court? have you thought of maybe asking the chronicle or news guardian to put something in which may make the local authority or someone feel guilty enough (you know, kids need more exercise, here's a wasted opportunity sort of thing?) to hand over some cash....?

its a good school as well, you'd think they'd be more bothered about keeping the local population happy.

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 12:17:50 »
 :'( :'( BL my thoughts are with you......keep smiling, please ;)

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 12:28:13 »
BL - so sorry for you. I almost cried reading your message. I know how I'd feel if it were mine.

I hope the damage isn't as bad as it first appeared and things recover soon.

big cyber hugs.
gone to pot :D

rdak

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 12:36:21 »
lizzie,
surely the school have a responsibility to do something. If someone trips up on a loose paving slab on my drive, I am legally responsible for their injuries....surely if 'someone' tripped over on the basketball court, there would be a similar liability? Have you tried getting your local newspaper interested in the story? And wrote to your MP?

Failing that, tip the wink to a local farmer who can tip some manure on it! The kids may act like pigs, but probably draw the line at rolling in filth!

best of luck

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 13:04:48 »
Just trying to think how many of our members this has happened to this Summer alone.Quite a number.The children have so much more than we ever had so why are they like this?We were happy to play hop-Scotch and Kick -Can of a night and then were too exhausted to vandalise.Oh no we were not goody goodies but knew what we would get if we misbehaved.Who says good old discipline doesn't work.??????
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 13:06:05 by budgiebreeder »
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal