Author Topic: Plot 69, from the beginning (New plot)  (Read 4008 times)

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
Plot 69, from the beginning (New plot)
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:04:46 »
Morning all.
Well after moving out of the town one and a half years ago I've finally given up my old plot in Hartlepool and got one closer to my new home.

I've spent 3 years carefully making my old plot exactly as I wanted it and carefully nursed it back from a wreck and now I have to start all over again  :(
BUT BOY IS IT GOING TO BE EXCITING!

I'm now the proud owner of an allotment on the Quarry lane site in the parish Preston-on-Tees (2 mins up the road from my house in Yarm)

Now brace yourselves as this is quite a scary picture

This is plot 69! My new plot!

I'm going to be getting a petrol powered strimmer for the weekend courtesy of my old employers Hartlepool Borough Council and blitzing the full thing! I'm also going to give the derelict plot to the right of me a once over so that it is more likely to be taken over, providing me with neighbours to either side. Or I might actually ask if I can take over that one too and just cover it over untill I have finished 69.

It's going to be hard work but I'm looking forward to it and I'm going to keep a picture diary online as a kind of 'how to' for people who have been offered an overgrown plot and think it looks too much to take on.

I'll keep you posted.
Shane
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:15:18 by Lacelotte »

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Plot 69, from the beginning (New plot)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:01:57 »
Scary?!!!  If I was offered that plot I would run a mile! 

Sounds like you have plenty of energy and some useful friends too!

Good luck with it Plot 69.  I think that this year you will have your work cut out for you!!

Old Bird

;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:04:10 »
Love the scary picture!  You obviously love a challenge and I am sure you'll win.  Have you any pics of your previous plot?  Just so we know whether or not this one is up to scratch  ::) ;D  Look forward to seeing progress made.  Good luck.
twinkletoes

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:22:27 »
A great time of the year too.You might find a few fruit bushes!or DR Livingstone.

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:24:40 »
I could not run away yesterday Oldbird as I dislocated my knee that morning! So I was stuck with it hehe. No it was possibly the better of the three available.
It should not take too long as I met the lady who has just taken on plot 70 next to mine and in 6 hours she had managed to chop down 3/4's of her plot using a pair of sheers and a rake!

As for friends, yeah well I'm still good friends with the guy in charge of the Horticultural section of HBC which is going to come in very handy for the loaning of equipment!  ;D

I do have a few pics of my last plot twinkle toes, though I'm at work now and will try and put them up sometime soon. It wasn't anything fancy. Just a good old fashioned working allotment with a mini BBQ area hehe

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 11:58:12 »

This picture gives you an idea of what the plot and the surounding ones are like. It would seem this end of the site has been neglected for a few years and the worse it has become, the harder they have found someone to take them on.

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 19:41:44 »
WOW that's a lovely plot  ;D....looking forward to seeing your progress.

...I've been thinking about taking a scythe course over the summer...maybe I can come & practice there LOL

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 20:37:47 »
Does this mean there could be a Fruit Veg stall outside the musium
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 22:08:31 »
Hi Davey, do you mean Preston Hall?
The site my plot is on is one of 2 allotment sites that are on either side of the Museums grounds.
Are you from the area?

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
What a difference a free Saturday makes!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 19:44:24 »
I finally got chance to get down and make a start on the plot this weekend. So I thought I'd put a pic or two on here to show you the progress.

I got to do a little allotment archeology too. hehe any suggestions what this might have been? It runs along the front of the plot and is quite a bit lower than the rest of the soil so my thoughts were some kind of drainage system?

I'll keep you posted with further updates

P.S. please ignore the date stamps, didnt realise it wasn't set correctly untill I uploaded them to the computer. Dope!

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
Re: Plot 69 Quarry Road, What a difference a Saturday makes
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 13:03:10 »
I've dug a little more around the unknown stonework on the plot and found it runs further along the front of the plot towards the water trough. I'm thinking it was some kind of water drain as it is lower than the rest of the plot.

I think I'm going to excavate the rest of it and see if I can run the drainage trenches into it to see how it goes.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 19:21:39 »
wow, a mystery, looking forward to finding out what it was  ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 19:29:17 »
Hi Davey, do you mean Preston Hall?
The site my plot is on is one of 2 allotment sites that are on either side of the Museums grounds.
Are you from the area?

I live in Blackhall How i found your allotment was when i was following the Tees inland and as the rive loops there i saw your site. The reason i remember it was there appears to be a GH or caravan just stuck in the middle of the site

PS you will be getting all religious over the next ten weeks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 19:33:03 by davyw1 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 01:02:59 »
The reason i remember it was there appears to be a GH or caravan just stuck in the middle of the site

PS you will be getting all religious over the next ten weeks

By GH do you mean Greenhouse? I thought I was the only one who would do something as random as follow things on google earth  ;D

Ahh you mean the big event in Preston park with this Evangelical Christian speaker. Well yes I will be all religious for the 10 weeks but then again I'm that type of fella anyway lol. Usually steer well clear of this type of thing as I can't stand pushy evangelists but I'll go tonight and see what the hype is all about lol

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 18:52:39 »
You scared the cr*p outa me! I thought I'd been evicted when I read this...
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal