Author Topic: pumpkins  (Read 935 times)

debster

• Hectare
pumpkins
« on: July 18, 2007, 16:50:20 »
in order to give them unlimited space i am encouraging my pumpkins to grow on the lawn one or two are actually lying on the grass will this damage them in anyway or make them susceptible to rot should i put anything under them?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 18:15:42 »
You might want to put something under the fruits once they are set as sitting on damp grass could cause them to rot.  Also you might find slugs and snails are slightly more problamatic because of the damp ground.  Other than that, I can't see any more problems than letting them roam around bare earth on the allotment.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 20:12:04 »
The grass is not going to grow very well and it will be wet and messy underneath and when you finally remove the pumpkin and cut the grass it will be Autumn and it will not have time to recover properly before the winter.

Otherwise no problem as mine was grown over an uncultivated part last year and it acted as a great weed supressent.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_Pumpkin.html

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 20:55:52 »
im really not worried about the grass or what condition it mind end up in just that it doesnt rot the pumpkins what would you suggest i put under them ej

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 21:24:48 »
I  put nothing under mine and as you can see at 113lb it did it no harm. As you can imagine nothing survives under that weight and the skin is too tough for slugs except when very young.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 21:46:05 »
cool thanks all of you  :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 22:52:05 »
If worried, something like a paving slab or brick, just to lift them up, something that is pourous.  I never really put anything under mine and they normally seem fine, can be a little rough, but it isn't the skin yuo eat.  All I was thinking was the grass would be damp longer than bare earth....thinking along the lines of morning dew.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 23:11:48 »
Mine is growing across my 'lawn area'.
There's not much grass there, as it is mainly covered in pots.
I've had to redirect the main shoot to keep in the sunny bit for most of the day.

My biggest pumpkin is about the size of a lemon, is that average for this time of year?

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 18:42:28 »
I had some spare tiles left over from tiling a bathroom and I stick those under the fruit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal