Author Topic: Unwins pea seeds - Alderman  (Read 991 times)

xqbgal

• Not So New ...
Unwins pea seeds - Alderman
« on: July 18, 2007, 16:09:07 »
Has anyone had any problems with the consistency of this variety this year?
I have been growing Alderman for a few years but this is the first time I have used Unwins and although some plants have produced the usual long, dark green pods, the majority are a midge modge of pods of different shape, size and colour. The only similarity is that all plants have grown to about 7ft.
Could it be possible that there has been some cross pollination in the production of these seeds?
I would appreciate your comments please.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Unwins pea seeds - Alderman
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 18:14:34 »
I can't remember which 'producer' I am using this year, but the first sowing were all quite small pods, lots of which were mishapen.  The later batch - Suttons I think, are much better.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 18:52:06 »
It is actually very difficult to cross pollinate peas... they self pollinate before the flowers open... having said that I have three seven foot plants in a row of Feltham First.... perhaps the very hot/dry July last year messed them about...
 ???

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 20:05:49 »
Mine are saved from last year and apart from one plant which has misshapen pods, they are all great.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_peas.html

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 22:07:13 »
I've just come back from the plot and my alderman peas are also like xqbgal describes. My seeds were of my own saving and I was thinking that I may have to buy in again for next year. I've got another two batches under way and a third yet to be sown so I will not judge until they have all produced. Some of the pods only had 4 or 5 peas and I feel robbed.

The early peas were fantastic and was expecting the maincrop to be similar.

xqbgal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 23:25:51 »
 Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have sown more seeds today from different supplier, so will see what these are like. I have never saved peas to use as seeds, only runner beans, if this next lot are successful I will save some and hope for a better crop!! I did email Unwins and received the reply....
"The reasons the pods are not as they usually are is due to the low light level we have had this year. Most things are not growing as they would normally be if we were having a proper  summer".  This "low light level" is not affecting any of my other crops, in fact everything else is producing more successful and heavier yields than usual despite the lack of sun and a higher  rainfall. I suppose it depends where you live but has anyone else had a better year because of the rain?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal